How to start Explorer with a spare / valet key??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to start Explorer with a spare / valet key???

Magnetic_EX

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer limited
hey guys I have a 2017 Ford Explorer limited with the keyless entry and remote start.

Recently we found ourselves where I had both remote keys and a work while my wife need the EX.

We have the spare key!!!!
The spare key opens the door in the cylinder however once inside the vehicle it won't start.
Says no key detected.

Is it possible to start the Ex with that basic spare key?

I've found the slot in the armrest if the remote battery dies. But that doesn't work with the spare key.

Any ideas?
Tried google and YouTube with no success.

hey guys I have a 2017 Ford Explorer limited with the keyless entry and remote start.

Recently we found ourselves where I had both remote keys and a work while my wife need the EX.

We have the spare key!!!!
The spare key opens the door in the cylinder however once inside the vehicle it won't start.
Says no key detected.

Is it possible to start the Ex with that basic spare key?

I've found the slot in the armrest if the remote battery dies. But that doesn't work with the spare key.

Any ideas?
Tried google and YouTube with no success.
No, that key blade is only for the driver's door and the glove box. Also, it isn't a valet key. 'Valet' is a mode you set up in the Sync screen.

Peter

Thanks peter.

So that key is pretty damn useless in an emergency.

Thanks peter.

So that key is pretty damn useless in an emergency.
It will come in handy should the remote's battery be too weak to unlock the doors. That is when you insert the remote ino the slot in the console. Of course you could use the Securicode key pad if you remember the number and providing your vehicle battery isn't dead.;)
It appears to be the only thing that will open the door if all else fails.

Back