DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992

Help! I am about half way through the installation. I ran into a few issues. First, I don't know which wire to connect the neutral one to. I tested with the key in ON position and out gear since it is a 5 speed manual.

Also, exactly do I run a wire from the car battery? Type of cable? etc.
can you start your truck when its in netrl or do you have to have the clutch pressed in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look carefully at the diagrams... I used the Yellow one for the Remote Start wires, So YES you can use it for that...
but for the door wires (again look at the diagram/instructions on the writeup for details) I used a wire directly from the battery

OK, I got everything wired up, but it still wont start or unlock. It just clicks and the parking lights flash.

well the RS is going to be challenging in your case.... but the doors should be straight forward. Try disconnecting the harness with the RS.... and concentrate on the doors harness and the triggers harness ( verify every connection)

OK, doors work just fine. Had a little issue with battery wireing. Now, what button is it to start the engine anyway, lol.

OK, I figured out the remote start button, but it turns on but doesnt try to turn over.

OK, I figured out the remote start button, but it turns on but doesnt try to turn over.

ok... so it's one of the safety things not working:
  • Check your netural wire (just ground it for now)
  • Check your tach wire

Let us know

OK, I tested it and the same thing is occuring, Is it possible that I got the Red/L. Blue cables mixed up? Both showed a light when tested.

The manual uses the the e-brake. I used the "Yellow" for the main, however I ran a hot with a fuse from the battery in for the rest.

You will only be able to remote start if the e-brake is set, just a heads up.

OK, not sure what you mean, but...

I am down to 3 steps.

1.) Install Hood Pin
2.) Install alarm speaker.
3.) Bypass Clutch.

I was able to start it by pressing down the clutch. I just need to bypass it now.

Good! Glad to hear that.
The siren is apiece of cake (Ill try to post a pic)

The hood pin can wait a bit...

Just focus on the clutch... And let us know how you do it. I'd try to just bypass it for the rs only, and keep in place for regular key starting.

Ohh and remember to hook the Neutral wire to the e-brake.... it was ok to ground it for now as a test, but it should have some kinda of safety thing hook up to it... in this case (stick shift) hook it to the e-brake sensor.

Sorry, but I am still unsure of what you mean. I think I will leave it as is for the time being. I got the doors and alarm working flawlessly. I LOVE them! I already hooked up my speaker. I was doing the hood pin, but the one that came with another kid I had for awhile broke when tightening it. I already ordered one from ebay yesterday.

Are you talking about the parking break? When I hold down the clutch and remote start it, it works. When I press the brake, it shuts off. The only issue besides the clutch is when I actually start it remotely, the radio doesn't shut off. It just stays turned on. When I use the key, no remote the entire time, it turns off.

I am just extremely happy that I have remote locks! Haha.

The e-brake has one wire, tap into that bad boy. If you need a hood pin pm your address Ill send you one, (but dont tell anyone lol..). You dont need it for now, but its a good idea to have it. Run the wire up there (GREY).

The radio is because you already have it on. I have mine set that way also, its nice.

Like I said, I already ordered my hood pin yesterday and should be here soon. Thanks for the offer though. I will take a look at the e-brake Thursday.

I know! Isn't keyless entry the greatest!!! Not as "cool" as rs since everybody else has it, but by far the most practical and useful feature!

I will post a pic of where I placed my speaker around 3 when I get home. I still can't believe it took me 9 hours to do this! I am pretty good with electronics, but first time with car. Sure there were little 15 minute breaks now and then, but I think it was mostly because I would sit there, saying to myself, what to do next. And at the end it was... So much to clean up, Haha. To many wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it took me about 9hrs too... a whole weekend... and I didn't clean it up until the next weekend.... so you didn't do so bad. Of course if you had to do it again, I'm sure you could finish in a couple hrs...

Back