DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992

Few, *wipes sweat from forehead* I got out of school today and wouldn't you know it, my battery was dead. I was pressing unlock and thought if broke or something. Unlocked it manually and saw I had left my lights on. Jumped it and back to life it came.

Anyway, Here is where I put my speaker. It has a ground point right next to it too.
2mq9rer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had left my lights on. Jumped it and back to life it came.

Similar thing happened to me... I left the dome lights on... curiously, if you leave the dome light on and arm the alarm... in a few secs the thing will beep warning you of the light on.... I didn't know and ignore it.... however it doesn't do it for the headlights (on my list)...

Thanks for the pic.... I put it in the same place, but for some reason that area on my engine bay looks different than yours.... I will try to incorporate all the posted pics on the write-up...

BTW.... after only 3 weeks of usage, my remote's batteries seems to have died.... both remotes the same day! :roll: The won't work and the little led won't light up anymore... hopefully it's just that, I'm getting new batteries today (Button type CR2032)

BTW are you still confused about the e-brake thing? Hopefully this clarifies it...

e-brake (AKA "parking brake") should have a sensor with a factory wire connected to it. Normally, this sensor-wire will light up the BRAKE light on you panel if you start driving with the parking brake set... right?

Ok.. so what you wanna do is to grab the Neutral wire from the alarm and hook it to this parking-brake wire.

By doing this your car will only be able to remote start when the parking brake is set....

so in case you leave your car in gear instead of the parking brake.... you won't be able to RS... And get used to leave your car always in neutral... :)

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with the clutch override, you still need to figure that one out.

When I get time, haha.. Im going to figure a way to put a pin in for the rear window. Thats pretty close to were I mounted my ehhwoowoo thing.

Will wheather was back to 30 today, but got bored and installed the hood pin. Just a heads up DONT hold it down standing there and set alarm and let off to see if it works...What what did you say..Not hearing so well.

wow! i just finished doing mine. i followed this and here i am a good two and a half hours later.....done! that was not nearly as bad as i was expecting. i have to admit...when i cut that first lock acctuator wire...i almost cried. i was so worried i was gonna mess up. excelent write up my friend! i hope you got some elite membership for this one...or at least a sticky.

wow! .... i have to admit...when i cut that first lock acctuator wire...i almost cried. i was so worried i was gonna mess up. excelent write up my friend! i hope you got some elite membership for this one...or at least a sticky.

Cool.... I'm glad it went well!
Yes cutting the first wire takes some determination, but if carefully place the connectors it's easily reversable.

I'll be happy if it makes it to useful threads....

Btw.... Any improvement suggestion for the writeup?

Ill soon post pics of running the rear window pin. As of right now our rear window is not protected. I still want to figure out the dome light deal, windows. One day..lol.

i thought it was very well written and i couldnt come up with any improvements. the alarm i bought isnt remote start so i didnt use that part of the write up but the other stuff was very helpfull. i ordered a trunk release solenoid a couple days ago so when it gets here maybe ill snap some pictures of the install.

I still have some wires that I didn't use and I don't know what this is for. Any ideas? Do I still need it?

18ywbd.jpg

i thought it was very well written and i couldnt come up with any improvements. the alarm i bought isnt remote start so i didnt use that part of the write up but the other stuff was very helpfull.

Good! That was the whole point. To help ppl, not just to follow exactly the detailed steps, but to also empower them to use it in their own application (different year/alarm system)
Glad it worked out for you too!!

I still have some wires that I didn't use and I don't know what this is for. Any ideas? Do I still need it?

Yes... that's a relay included in the kit to be used as a "Starter Killer". I didn't hook it up either.

If hooked up, it should give you extra protection in the event of auto-theft: In case they break into your car while armed, even if they have a way to try to crank it (key, etc) the starter won't crank keeping them from starting the car and driving away.

I personally don't think that my 1992 Explorer, out of the cars you might find in a parking lot, is going to be the most likely victim of auto-theft ... So I kept it simple and decided not to use it.

If you want to use it... look at the diagram on the first post (or the back of your brain unit) there it's graphically shown how to this relay should be hooked up.

I thought the same. All I really care about are the remote locks! Doesn't really matter that much anymore. My parents are giving me their jeep next year. Whoever is going to buy my explorer will be one of the lucky few with REMOTE LOCKS! Haha.

You know what is amazing? I was watching Overhauling today and they did a 91 Explorer! It was so cool. They even install remote locks and alarm with the paging system. They also had a custom air intake.

well fixed the rear window today and tried to hook up the windows modules and hook them up wrong the first time so i rewired them and tried again and the second time i got the two fronts to work but when it went to roll the back ones up it started smoking and shorted totally out!!!when i hook them up the first time it burnt the two rear ones out and when it tried after they were hook up right the track on the board(in the module) had come up and was touching the hot track so it shorted out.you have to pull wires into the door to get the driverside to work and the yellow wire that goes to the motor is up and the passenger window is backwards,the white/yellow is the up wire and the tan/blue is down.never got to the back to see if the wires were labeled right polarity but the colors are the right one and all the wires are in the same spot as the door unlock/lock wires.so now i have no windows at all till the new modules get here and i will go from there!~!! anybody else get these thing working right yet??

I have the parts sitting here, just have not had the time lately. Seems these mudules burn up easy ? Still want to do the dome light deal and rear window, one day.

I have the parts sitting here, just have not had the time lately. Seems these mudules burn up easy ? Still want to do the dome light deal and rear window, one day.

im pretty sure it was my fault,i used the relay that came with the alarm,the starter kill and hooked it to the same wire as the door trigger

Sorry my bad..Bringing this back to the top. No seriously. Anyone else had battery issues with the remotes ?

Yes... I did. I mentioned earlier too.
Funny thing both remotes stop working the same day.

I changed the batteries (CR2032 $4 @ Target), and it worked again for a few days. Then it stop working again, so this time I slightly bent the battery prongs to really press the battery against the little board. That seemed to solve it. I haven't had any issues again so far.

I was gonna talk to the seller, but since $4 solved I decided to wait and see... Keep us posted, seems like it's not an isolated issue.

Hey, update of my issue. I got out of work today and I had a small issue. I couldn't disarm my alarm. I could arm it, but thats it. Luckily I had thought ahead when installing the alarm. I made a quick disconnect for the siren wire. Sure it could be bad if it were stolen, but I really don't expect someone to steal my Explorer with purple fender and blue paint job.

I got home and grabbed the other remote. Worked just fine. I will take a closer look tomorrow and let you guys know whats going on.

Same issue here. Determined it was a bad battery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took out the batteries and pushed down the pins. Both remotes work now.

Back