How to tie 14 foot kayak to stock roof rack? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tie 14 foot kayak to stock roof rack?

RiverRat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 Ranger 4x4
Has anyone strapped a kayak to the factory roof rack bars on a 98 mounty? I need to transport a 14 foot kayak 500 miles and don't want to shell out cash for a Thule or Yakama for a one time deal.

Can it be done safely?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I carried a tandem river running kayak on my Sport no problem. 2 cam straps on the rack and some rope making the triangle from frame to kayak to fram up front and the same in the rear. You'll be able to hold it down just fine.

I'd be careful of the stock roof racks. They are only rated at 35 lbs. Not built very well. Close look at them will prove this. Mine started to crack with a snowboard and a pair of skis. I upgrade to the Thule system and these things are rock solid.

Exactly Ipoz... I spec'd them out and and am not impressed with the stock racks at all, nor would I rely on them. I carry two kayaks most of the time actually, and totally trust that system I have up top.

Riverrat, if you're serious about the sport, drop a lil extra to get a real rack to ensure your boat won't come off, and also to ensure the safety of the other motorists around you.

Check out my web site below and/or strip off the Gecko part and there ya go, I have pics of my racks, a page dedicated to racks (easy guys, kayak racks :p) and some cool pics in general of various paddling trips.
(Been a kayaker for a few years now and love it)

My mako saddles provide enough downward pull to where I've exceeded speeds of 85+ (as a test) with very little movement. I love that Yakima system I have and have gone on a few long trips with the boats with no worries.

I put a 17 foot canoe on mine... I use foam lip covers for the boat... to keep it off of the paint.. strap it down in the front and to the back bumper its ready to go...

2002 'X' Sport by the way.

I'd be careful of the stock roof racks. They are only rated at 35 lbs. Not built very well. Close look at them will prove this. Mine started to crack with a snowboard and a pair of skis. I upgrade to the Thule system and these things are rock solid.

I know this thread is really old, but this is the first result that appeared on google in my quest to see which kayak roof racks will fit my 2000 X. I just had to correct this poster, as my manual says that the roof racks are rated to 200 lbs, and I'm assuming that it's the same for all 98-01 X's. That's more than enough to support a kayak. That is all.

Back