How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open?

Hello All! I find this to be the most funniest thread ever! I had to register and write a reply. First of all thanks for the great information. We are heading to the drive in this evening and I apply the solutions provided.

Second, the funny part... For those complaining about Ford and the design problems when trying to watch movies at the drive-in. Here you go. Ford Canada is located in Oakville Ontario on Ford Drive. They manufacture the Edge and MKX and other models at this location. Here comes the funny part, Ford Drive extends into 9th line where there is a 5 Drive-in Theatre! It is less than 4 km's from the Ford plant! You would have thought that at least one of the designers would have... too much to ask I guess!

Personally, I find Ford Canada .... how can I say this nicely .... is less interested in its customers. I'm envious that Ford US has such great service reps in forums, that US owners can buy extended warranties online at reasonable pricing, that they actually get the Sync Services that are advertised, and that they aren't limited to a few times per year to buy cars at prices that aren't outrageous.

Ford US - impressive. Ford Canada ..... I'm hoping for better things from. Do they even read Ford Story? We'll see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:usa:
You SoCal guys still have drive-in movies? NorCal closed its last on last March, I miss the drive-in :( Let me know on the light issue, have 8 grandkids, the light on would be not good.

Been a long time ago, most have been converted to swap meet / flea markets:thumbdwn:

BUMPING so I can find this again! :cool:

I have a way to turn off the lights with the lift gate open. What I don't know is how long the radio will stay on. I have done this many times and soccer games.

0: Park car turn turn off car
1: Put ignition in accessory
2: turn radio
3: Open lift gate any way you like. .
4: Get a pencil, pen of anything thin
5: Push the latch that locks the lift gate closed, how located above your head on the lift gate
6: Wait about 30 seconds for the interior light to dim then go out
7: Listen to radio, Unknown time, 30 min to 1 hour before the computer steps in a shuts everything off
8: IMPORTANT unlock lift gate manually, push button an handle, Not Button on bottom of lift gate.
9: MANUALLY close lift gate.

Ford and many auto makers have put the switch inside the locking mechanism of the door that control the interior lightss.

I got the trick!! Key in ignition, on but not start. Open the back door. Then take a key or something and trip the latch on the door so it thinks its shut. Lights go out and radio stays on. Some advice on this is 1. Be sure you hit the unlock button BEFORE you close the back up. 2. DON'T open any doors in this condition until you turn off the alarm, really sucks setting that bad boy off in the drive in.

Good alternative

I've tried the above solution, but it requires you to get up every 30 minutes and turn it back on. The best solution I've found is use the screwdriver to trip the latch to turn the dome lights off, leave the power off and use a battery-powered boombox for sound. Much less hassle.

What I've done in my 2nd gen is pull the fuse for the interior lights... but that's only cuz I like my dimmer where it's at. Some kinda OCD I guess

I got the trick!! Key in ignition, on but not start. Open the back door. Then take a key or something and trip the latch on the door so it thinks its shut. Lights go out and radio stays on. Some advice on this is 1. Be sure you hit the unlock button BEFORE you close the back up. 2. DON'T open any doors in this condition until you turn off the alarm, really sucks setting that bad boy off in the drive in.
Welcome to the Forum Explorer captain. :wavey:
Just wondering. With the XLT do you have to switch the ignition to accessory in order to turn the radio on? The reason I ask is that with the Limited with push button start, you don't even need the key anywhere near the vehicle to turn the radio on. Just hit the big radio button and the MFT screen/radio comes alive.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Explorer captain. :wavey:
Just wondering. With the XLT do you have to switch the ignition to accessory in order to turn the radio on? The reason I ask is that with the Limited with push button start, you don't even need the key anywhere near the vehicle to turn the radio on. Just hit the big radio button and the MFT screen/radio comes alive.

Peter

I just checked this my wife has an 12 XLT and I have an 11 limited... It works the same with either. Just have the key (XLT) or keyless fob (limited) in close proximity (say cupholders). Turn on the radio, tune to desired channel, go open the lift gate, click the latch to the 2ND click. It will turn off the dome lights in under a minute. Remember if you want the windows open you will have to do that before all of this with normal accessory power.

When you are done at the drive-in just close the lift gate but do not latch and push the button to open the latch. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

Good day all!!

Is there a way to turn off the cabin lights so they won't go on when any of the doors are opened? I was was able to do it in my escape but can't seem to figure it out in my new explorer (2015 base model).

Thanks in advance!!

There is no manual switch to disable the illuminated entry feature. However, you can ask your dealer to enable the "dark car" feature, which keeps the cabin lights off whenever you close/open the doors. Some dealers charge a fee, others don't.

To be blunt, I think it’s dumb not to have a manual switch, especially for the rear. I have 2 small kids and it can be a rude awakening when we get home(kids sleeping) and all the lights turn on when the car is turned off. They open their eyes only to be blinded by bright lights. I also don’t want the “dark” feature as I like having lights turn on most of the time, at least in the front.

Frustrated w/Lights

I agree with other poster, I don't want my interior lights "blacked out" all the time.
I want the 'option' of off/on like I have on my '03 Expedition & frequently use when traveling with my dogs or when I'm alone.
My plan is to buy a 2016 Explorer Limited but, I truly need the option to turn 'interior lights Off' for safety reasons, I don't want criminals to easily see I'm alone in vehicle when I travel alone. The 'Interior Light problem' is the only reason a New Explorer is not parked in my garage right now!
We've been ready & able to buy the New Explorer since last year, was at the lot with the right color, ready to drive it home UNTIL I realized the huge problem with the Interior Lights! I simply refuse to have someone else dictate such a trivial issue to me & determine whether I use it as I wish or not. Especially when for me, it's truly a matter of my own safety while I travel alone.
Does anyone know if Ford is addressing a fix for this mistake & inability to use the interior light as safety demands?
The dealer we talked to said theres no way to change it. Anyone know of a fix?

Isn't there a way to request features or improvements? I can't find the link to save my life right now.

Frustrated w/lights

I supposed the question is: Why did usage of the Interior Lights get blocked? What was the reasoning, for what exact purpose was it changed?
It cannot be for the drivers safety because it makes a driver much much more vulnerable.
I don't see how it could possibly be for police officer safety or reasons they'd need because a typical traffic stop does not require one to open their door or turn on interior lights.
I have the On or Off or Dim all lights option on my '03 Expedition which is perfect! I keep my interior lights ON at all times unless I'm driving alone at night & make a pit stop where I'd rather it be a big question as to whether someone else is sitting in my truck. It keeps me safer! Much safer!
I turn interiors (OFF) when door is open & I'm messing with my dogs. Interior OFF when I'm cleaning vehicle (makes sense), OFF when I park in front of room at hotel so no one can view what I leave in truck. OFF if I pull over for a short rest when doing long travel. OFF when I don't want anyone to see I have valuable dogs left in car when I go to pay or potty.
ALL good reasons to have an OFF switch.
Whose crazy idea was this? It must have been mandated by someone. Who?? Why?

In my previous 2004 explorer there was a roller switch that allowed me to turn on my interior lamps when I rolled it up and I could also keep them off if I rolled it all the way down until it clicked. In my new 2017 there is no roller switch, just the button to turn them on or off. Is there a way to make it so that the interior lights stay off when I turn the engine off? I read the manual and nothing came up.

This has been a complaint since day 1 of the 5th generation. No 'master' switch to turn the interior lights OFF when you open the doors or otherwise. I don't know if there is a setting that can be modified with Forscan.

Peter

Oh wow, I had no idea it was an issue for so long. Even if there was a setting that could be done with Forscan, I'm not sure how it would work, maybe just turn the current button to a manual on/off only when pushed...?

With forscan, you can enable dark mode (used in interceptor models) and manually click the interior lights on and off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do I turn the interior lights off while the trunk part is open for being at the drive ins? I have a 2015 Ford Explorer xlt.

Back