How Do You Turn OFF / Disable Interior Lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Do You Turn OFF / Disable Interior Lights?

Post number 9 has been selected as best answered.

Those Cop guys know everything ! This is a feature that's pretty important, at least to them, in their line of work, and rightly so.......best regards Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems even on the 2014s, the ability to turn off interior lights has been neglected by Ford despite (at least on this forum) much complaining. I know I'm not a fan of being lit up for everyone to see when I'm getting in my car, especially when I'm carrying all my guns/gear/etc that I take to the range. It seems to me to just scream, "Hey! Come break into my car later!". So upon looking through the manual to pull a fuse, there are two options:

Fuse 4, Passenger Side:

Interior demand lamps (overhead
console, second row, cargo),
Glove box lamp, Second and third
row seat release, Visor lamps.

Fuse 12, Passenger Side:

Interior courtesy lamps (overhead
console, Second row, cargo),
Puddle lamps, Console bin LED,
Backlighting.

Now I haven't taken delivery yet otherwise I would have already tried this, but assuming Ford uses the English language correctly when making their manuals, "demand" would suggest the lights come on when you press them whereas "courtesy" would come on as just that, a courtesy when you open the door or unlock the car.
If you were to remove Fuse 12, which yes would disable the puddle lamps as well unfortunately, would you still be able to turn on the lights after the fact with the support of Fuse 4 still being there? Just a thought, it would be awesome if someone was willing to try!
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread.
If you try the suggestions that Sgt1411 made, please let us know how you made out with them. If you have success, perhaps then you could also add a post in the 'Modified' forum about this issue.

Peter

OK, reviving an old thread. I searched all over trying to find out how to TURN ON my puddle lamps. They are physically there on the mirrors but I can't figure out how to turn them on. I just bought my 2013 recently so I don't know if they've been turned off, disabled, or need new bulbs. I looked here, online, etc. on how to turn on the lamps.

They don't go on when I open doors or when I hit the open button on the key (the mirror horizontal light row goes on for a short while but no puddles).

OK, reviving an old thread. I searched all over trying to find out how to TURN ON my puddle lamps. They are physically there on the mirrors but I can't figure out how to turn them on. I just bought my 2013 recently so I don't know if they've been turned off, disabled, or need new bulbs. I looked here, online, etc. on how to turn on the lamps.

They don't go on when I open doors or when I hit the open button on the key (the mirror horizontal light row goes on for a short while but no puddles).
Do your interior courtesy lamps come on when you open the door? If so, then it isn't a fuse issue. The fuse that is for the puddle lamps is also for overhead console, Second row, cargo, Console bin LED and Backlighting. There is no way to turn them ON or OFF without the use of an external programming source.

Peter

LT, are you sure that's an option on your XLT?.....I wonder if they aren't activated due to the selected options on your XLT.

LT, are you sure that's an option on your XLT?.....I wonder if they aren't activated due to the selected options on your XLT.
I tried to find a "Build & Price" site for the 2013 but had no luck. However, in the 2013 Manual they are mentioned under "Illuminated Entry" and there is no indication that they are an "if equipped" option. Appears to be standard.

Peter

I can't imagine they'd actually install hardware that wasn't supposed to be used.

It's possible that the bulbs are out, but they're not intended to be easily replaceable. If you look in the LED conversion thread, they have to be removed, and then basically cut open to replace the bulbs. Of course, when I replaced mine with LEDs, the driver's side literally fell apart when I removed it.

If the interior lights don't come on, then I'd guess dark car is activated.

I tried to find a "Build & Price" site for the 2013 but had no luck. However, in the 2013 Manual they are mentioned under "Illuminated Entry" and there is no indication that they are an "if equipped" option. Appears to be standard.

Peter

Thanks for the research.

However, ugh, that means my puddle lights are out for one reason or another. Back to the dealer if I can't figure out why they don't work. :dunno:

I can't imagine they'd actually install hardware that wasn't supposed to be used.

It's possible that the bulbs are out, but they're not intended to be easily replaceable. If you look in the LED conversion thread, they have to be removed, and then basically cut open to replace the bulbs. Of course, when I replaced mine with LEDs, the driver's side literally fell apart when I removed it.

If the interior lights don't come on, then I'd guess dark car is activated.

Interior overhead comes on. I see they actually sell complete LED puddle lamp replacements so I won't have to cut open an OEM and glue it back together. There is a "to do" list from the dealer that I need to bring it in for so I will just add this to the list. On this thread backlighting, console lighting, etc. was mentioned so now I've got to go and check. I know the interior overheads work but can't recall the others.

The dealer has been helpful about this since I only bought it a couple of weeks ago. So far their "to do" list is to replace the keyless entry light up touch pad, seam split on the passenger arm rest, plus now adding puddle lights.

I mentioned earlier that if your interior courtesy lights come on when you open the door then it isn't a fuse issue as the fuse controls the other items mentioned as well. There is a threads/post on replacing the puddle lights with LED and it seems very straight forward and easy to do. But, no sense in doing that until you find out the issue with the existing lights.

Peter

I mentioned earlier that if your interior courtesy lights come on when you open the door then it isn't a fuse issue as the fuse controls the other items mentioned as well. There is a threads/post on replacing the puddle lights with LED and it seems very straight forward and easy to do. But, no sense in doing that until you find out the issue with the existing lights.

Peter

Just checked, my passenger puddle lamp works fine, driver's side is out. I also noticed some condensation / moisture in the horizontal LED strip on the driver's side mirror although the LED's work. It's been rainy and cold so I don't know if its condensation or leakage.

Think I'll order a set of the pre assembled LED puddle lights and replace both sides and see if I can detect moisture inside the housing. Hopefully replacing the puddle lamps will restore function to the driver's side.

I appreciate the info on this site and the input from members ... makes owning my new Exp much easier.

Agggh. I wanted to pull the non-working puddle lamp out to throw a multimeter on the leads. I followed directions on how to remove the lamp assembly and the lens came out, leaving the lamp housing inside. When I tried to remove the housing, it moved around but was reluctant to come out. I don't want to force anything so maybe I'll let the dealer cope with it.

I can probably use a longer, thinner screwdriver to depress the little retention clip but I'll see if the dealer can replace it when I bring the Ex back for some other work scheduled to be done.

After checking I discovered the puddle lamps are functional on my ride. The driver's side was not working but the passenger side is.

If your going to order some replacement puddle lights see if you can get the ones that display a logo like the Lincoln ones do......I think Mustang has them too.

Be nice to have the Explorer or Ford Oval.

If your going to order some replacement puddle lights see if you can get the ones that display a logo like the Lincoln ones do......I think Mustang has them too.

Be nice to have the Explorer or Ford Oval.

I already ordered the complete LED assemblies so I didn't have to disassemble the old ones. They should make one that projects the Bat Signal on the ground.

Agggh. I wanted to pull the non-working puddle lamp out to throw a multimeter on the leads. I followed directions on how to remove the lamp assembly and the lens came out, leaving the lamp housing inside. When I tried to remove the housing, it moved around but was reluctant to come out. I don't want to force anything so maybe I'll let the dealer cope with it.

I can probably use a longer, thinner screwdriver to depress the little retention clip but I'll see if the dealer can replace it when I bring the Ex back for some other work scheduled to be done.

That's exactly what happened when I replaced mine. If you're replacing them anyway, just grab it with some needle nose pliers and yank it out. The LEDs are so much brighter! Absolutely worth it.

I already ordered the complete LED assemblies so I didn't have to disassemble the old ones. They should make one that projects the Bat Signal on the ground.

Find a sign shop and have them cut a vinyl sticker to go over them with the logo cut out!

I have never seen the Mustang or Lincoln puddle lights with the logo but is that how they do it?......a decal on the underside of the light?

These look a little cheap but its the right idea.

I have never seen the Mustang or Lincoln puddle lights with the logo but is that how they do it?......a decal on the underside of the light?

These look a little cheap but its the right idea.

To do it in color, it would have to be a clear lens with the logo printed in color. For just an outline, you could do it as I suggested.

Those look like they go in the bottom of the doors, which might be part of why they're cheaper.

Just wanted to add, for future troubleshooting, get an OBD reader and along with Forscan, you would be able to read the DTCs indicating "light out"; which would have shown you that the puddle light was out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interior overhead comes on. I see they actually sell complete LED puddle lamp replacements so I won't have to cut open an OEM and glue it back together. There is a "to do" list from the dealer that I need to bring it in for so I will just add this to the list. On this thread backlighting, console lighting, etc. was mentioned so now I've got to go and check. I know the interior overheads work but can't recall the others.

The dealer has been helpful about this since I only bought it a couple of weeks ago. So far their "to do" list is to replace the keyless entry light up touch pad, seam split on the passenger arm rest, plus now adding puddle lights.
1- Go inside the car near that light
2- from your car key press lock the car
3- then press the light button

It should be coming off

Regards

Back