How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures) | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

No BFH needed for that bolt. That will probably just make things worse. Pop the brake lines out of the plastic clip holding them so that they will flex a little. Then you can work the old bolt out around them. After reading the stories on this site I was expecting a huge fight, but it didn't take me more than a couple minutes to get out. The new one is easier to put in because the cam washer isn't welded to the bolt so you have more flexibility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There seems to be some conflicting info as far as needing the new camber kit bolts or being able to reuse the old ones.
Can I just reuse the same bolts or do I have to get the Moog Camber kit bolts?

Thanks

The factory uses square metal washers ( non-adjustable ) on both sides.

The MOOG washers are cam-shaped and allow for camber adjustment using a socket wrench or breaker bar to move the cams.

IF you are on a level concrete garage floor, a plain carpenter's level held
to the top and bottom of your tire should tell you if the factory square washers
are OK to use. I set camber at 0 or straight up ( no tire lean ) .

But I don't go max out on twisty roads either.

A little top inward camber is what the factory recommends .
( not near the book now for the numbers ) .

Having trouble

can't seem to get the passenger side upper rod to fit into the hole. I have a 2wd so thinking maybe they gave me one for 4wd (unless they're the same size) I tried expanding the whole w a wedge but it won't go in. every other video/forum ive seen they seem to go in pretty easy. I've smacked the hell out of it w a hammer and it won't go. thoughts?

I'm assuming the you are talking about the ball joint. I just did it on a 4wd. I pried the Pinch clamp apare a little with a crow bar. then I put a jack under the LCA to raise it up until the ball joint made contact, then I hit the top of the ball joint with a BFM and tapped it in.

Good Luck
Steve

You probably have the wrong ball joint. There are a bunch of threads here with people describing that issue. If the ball joint won't go back in relatively easily, it is the wrong part. There must have been a part change somewhere along the way.

can't seem to get the passenger side upper rod to fit into the hole. I have a 2wd so thinking maybe they gave me one for 4wd (unless they're the same size) I tried expanding the whole w a wedge but it won't go in. every other video/forum ive seen they seem to go in pretty easy. I've smacked the hell out of it w a hammer and it won't go. thoughts?

Just exactly what are you smacking ? The camber bolts on the inner ends
of the control arms at the frame , or the ball joint on the outer end ?

Thanks for all your input guys. Turns out I damaged the hole trying to pound the ball joint in when it wasn't centered (kind of a noob at this lol) it created a small lip over the hole so it couldn't fit. Cleared it out with a dremil bit, lubed it up and got it in no problem. Live n learn. Thanks again!

Thanks for all your input guys. Turns out I damaged the hole trying to pound the ball joint in when it wasn't centered (kind of a noob at this lol) it created a small lip over the hole so it couldn't fit. Cleared it out with a dremil bit, lubed it up and got it in no problem. Live n learn. Thanks again!

As critical as a steering part is....... I'd be a little concerned about the pounding and then opening up the hole with a Dremel Tool.

Hopefully, nothing has been fractured, but as cheap as ball joints are .....
I'd replace it if I were giving the truck to my son or daughter.

I hate these press-out / press-in ball joints that Ford uses.
My S-10 Blazer's ball joints are held to the control arms by four bolts.
MUCH easier to replace for us weekend mechanics.

Back