How uncommon are a late 2nd gen 5 speed Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How uncommon are a late 2nd gen 5 speed Ex.

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I found a possibly 1999-2001 Explorer in the back lot of a local dealership. Parked where they usually keep the cheap and Wholesale vehicles. This one doesn't have any tags etc on it from the dealer. So the status is unknown right now. It is a basic Ex no factory tint and a 5 speed tranny only 144K showing. I was just wondering how rare or uncommon are the last few years of the 2 gen Explorer with a manual trans? I may look into getting it. A friend of my son works there so I am going the have him check on it.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have read they were only in the V-6 and never the V-8's.

The V-6's were highly problematic with the V-6 DOHC being the worst offender.

I can't remember if they dropped the OHV v6 for 2001 but my 2000 sport has the OHV and it's a very reliable motor.
The SOHC(There's no DOHC 2nd gens) is fine although hard on gas but when the timing chains act up, it's pretty lame and expensive.
That motor has a bad reputation and rightfully so.

My 2000 sport is 5speed also. I've seen some 5speed 4doors but they tend to be lower trim models.

Yeah, This one is a 4 door low trim model.

Yeah, This one is a 4 door low trim model.

I've never seen a manual trans 4-dr, but I know they made them. As far as I know they were mostly/all XLS no-frill base models and were sold as fleet vehicles. I don't think they ever put a manual trans behind the 5.0L V8.

I've never seen a manual trans 4-dr, but I know they made them. As far as I know they were mostly/all XLS no-frill base models and were sold as fleet vehicles.

The only manual 4dr in active duty I have seen, was as far as I remember, was an XLS. I don't even think it had factory tinted windows.

my friend has four 5spd sports , he drives around a hundred miles one way to work 6 days a week , running 80 mph most of that , he beats the hell out of them , so whenever he finds one he grabs it and keeps it in stock

I've never seen one in person, and looked at an awful lot of Explorers in lots. Although, there were probably a bunch I skipped looking over since they didn't have the V8 badges. I'd get an OHV 5 speed. Learned to drive (legally) in a Sport 5 speed. Loved that truck.

Hi Tim, you didn't mention if the 2nd Gen Ex you're looking at is 2 Door or 4 Door.

Regardless, 5 Speed Manual Ex's are not very common - that's why I'm holding on to mine - he'll be turning over 200,000 miles sometime this week ;-)

Watch out for the 4.0 SOHC V-6 - Well-Known & documented plastic timing chain cassette & subsequent timing chain issues.

On the other hand, the 4.0 OHV V-6 is bullet proof, but just like anything mechanical, it has a couple of problem areas - i.e. rubber upper intake gaskets that compress over time as well as prone to leak valve cover gaskets.

BUT the 4.0 OHV is NOTHING like the $$$$ EXPENSE $$$$ (and time) of the SOHC engine timing chain/cassette issues!!!

Also, what I've noticed, is most of the LATE (2000 - 2001) SHOC 2 Door Explorers are 2WD (as opposed to 4wd).

Hope that helps and REPORT BACK!!!!
fast_dave_eb in the PRK

The only manual 4dr in active duty I have seen, was as far as I remember, was an XLS. I don't even think it had factory tinted windows.
Are they really that rare?..mines a base model 4 door with a 5 speed.. the only options mine has were power locks and windows with the factory tint

Back