How/where to sell and for how much | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How/where to sell and for how much

DaveA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I love my 1996 Ford Explorer. It has served me well for over five years. I bought it from a co-worker who was the original owner with 140,000. It now has 208,000. I get a little attached to cars but it's finally time to lets this baby go. We now have three cars, one of which is brand new, another which is a 2007 and very reliable, and then my old faithful Explorer. I can't even justify keeping it as a third car/backup car. I just don't have any use for it. I'm planning to get a 50th anniv. Mustang next year so I'll be back to Ford soon.

Half the people I talk to tell me to tell it for scrap. I personally want to sell it on Craigslist.

Here are the details and known issues:

208,000 miles; V6; automatic transmission
-Leaks transmission fluid (not substantial)
-Leaks oil (rear oil seals) (not substantial; less than a quart between changes)
-Nasty rust spot on the passenger side rear door. Eaten all the way through. Only other significant rust I can see is minor surface stuff.
-Driver side door handle is loose.
-Passenger side front door doesn't automatically lock when you hit the button on the remote. You can push the lock down manually and it will lock. Also, it will auto unlock.
-4WD not working.
-Check engine light comes on periodically but only for a few days and then goes off for a few weeks. Cycle repeats.
-Doesn't have stock radio. Replacement radio doesn't get am/fm for some reason. Has always been this way.
-Wiper arms were replaced but still have a lot of play in them. I was told the motors would have to be replaced.
-Rear brake light is out. I guess it's not a simple bulb. It won't pass inspection without this being fixed.
-A/C hasn't worked in years. It's not as simple as getting it refilled. I was told the tubes are leaking or something.

Has four very good tires with substantial tread on them still. This is probably the most value in my mind.

Kelly Blue book shows $1069 for a 1996 Explorer with 208,000 in fair condition. I'm not sure all the problems constitutes as fair. What do you guys think? I would have no problems letting it go for $750. I was using it as my daily driver until two weeks ago. My 2007 car had an air bag issue so I left it in the garage for several months and continued using the Explorer. I finally got that fixed and since the 2007 is so much better on gas, I'm using that as my daily driver until next year.

The other issue is I'm in Mass which has a lemon law. If the car can't pass inspection the buyer has a right to return or have me repair. Now I will sell the car 'as is' of course, but this doesn't stop the buyer from returning it if they want. I would hope people won't waste my time and theirs when I'm being honest about everything, but it is still a concern of mine if I choose the craigslist route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why is the word a n d replaced with pizza in everything?? EDIT nevermind, i get it.

OP, id just sell it on CL. like said, make sure you list everything thats wrong with it.

well i guess any $1 more that scrap value is worth a try. it doesn't sound like it's worth much more that scrap value though (no offense).

well i guess any $1 more that scrap value is worth a try. it doesn't sound like it's worth much more that scrap value though (no offense).

My first thought is: you're wrong. Yet the reality is, you aren't. It's bizarre because I can still use the car as a daily driver but clearly there are a lot of issues with it. It's a shame, too, since the engine still runs very well. Such is life. I will take a shot on Craigslist for a few days and then start calling junkyards.

Back