Bought a used ex with trans problem, how to sell? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a used ex with trans problem, how to sell?

acoustiplorer

Reaction score
City, State
buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
So I picked up a 99 sport, 147k miles a few weekends ago. Looked over the car and it seemed alright, went for a test drive and although it needed a bearing I bought it for $1460. On the way home I got the "od off" flashing dash light. Finally had it checked out today at an honest transmission shop. They said the code was for the torque converter clutch and its grinding metal into the trans and it'll cost $1450 to rebuild.

I can't spend that much so I just want to sell it to try to recoup my losses. I don't want to be dishonest or hide that fact when I sell it (like the po) so what's the best way to advertise it? Craigslist "mechanics special" ad? I don't imagine I will get replies if I try to sell it on a forum such as this one. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best would be to install a used transmission yourself. A few hundred dollars and a weekend.

If you're not up to that much DIY, try and find someone to install it. You'll save a ton over a rebuild.

Its really hard to get any money at all for an older vehicle that needs that kind of work.

you wouldn't get anything near what you paid for it. craigslist "mechanic's special" maybe $650 if the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape. you'd loose less by putting in a used transmission, but there probably wont be any warranty there either if you only pay around $200 for one.

Put in a used transmission and keep it. A used one with a 6 month guarantee in your area runs around 400 plus installation

Bill

$1450 for a complete rebuild is pretty good. As is, salvage value only. Salvage yard trans plus install by professional, close to same with likely much shorter warranty. Out here the used trans and install would easily excede $1450.

Best bet DIY. Case of beer, a friend or two, rented trans jack and either a lift in a shop or 4 ramps in the drive. Get a Haynes repair manual from the local parts store. Maybe the trans book too. Read up, several times through the complete procedure. Any needed tools can be borrowed, rented or bought if necessary. It may be scary but it is doable. Probably not as bad as you think either.

Take your time. It would take me a full weekend if I had most everyhting I needed right there at the beginning. I work slow but meticulously. My guys, less then an hour but they charge alot.

Okay, well I guess I'll keep it. This is my 2nd vehicle so I have something to fall back on when it dies. I wouldn't want to spend 1400 on a rebuild, I guess I wouldn't be so opposed to a transmission swap if I can find one but I would also have to find someone else to do it. I can do brakes, bearings and oil changes but anything more than that wouldn't be a good idea. Where's a good place to find used transmissions? Anything better than calling junkyards?

Where's a good place to find used transmissions? Anything better than calling junkyards?

Probably the best tool to find used parts is www.car-part.com -- gets you into the databases of thousands of breakers yards.

You can easily look for cost, distance or condition of the parts.

Craigslist is also an option, but I'd rather go with a used with warrantee from a fairly local beakers yard than used out of someone's garage.

in my area (PA) a used junkyard trans is 500.00 ,my mechanic charged me 500 to install it (i have 4by4) so 1k .

i lost reverse in my second trans now so i decided to take mine to the junk yard . got 600.00 for it .
sorry you had a dishonest seller ,but cudos to you fir being the better honest man when you decide to sell it off .

just so your aware the trans seems to be the weak point in these sports ,lost reverse in 2 of them so be aware of that when deciding to buy a used one .

good luck

I'm hoping to solve this very same problem tomorrow and sunday. Just started getting the O/D flash, brought it to a shop, they quoted me 2400 to rebuild (I don't recall what was wrong, I was out of the country and had my dad bring it in to trusted trans shop). Used trans w/ 70k on it for $350. Planning on preforming trans swap tomorrow, into sunday if necessary. Will post an update when its done

Vehicle is a 2000 XLT (Not sport)

I'm hoping to solve this very same problem tomorrow and sunday. Just started getting the O/D flash, brought it to a shop, they quoted me 2400 to rebuild (I don't recall what was wrong, I was out of the country and had my dad bring it in to trusted trans shop). Used trans w/ 70k on it for $350. Planning on preforming trans swap tomorrow, into sunday if necessary. Will post an update when its done

Vehicle is a 2000 XLT (Not sport)

what makes the trans swap a PITA is the 2 top trans bolts are hard to get at, the trans fluid lines are hard to disconnect from the trans and the exhaust system is in the way.

suggestions: long extension and universal joint for the bolts, cut the trans lines with a pipe cutter at a convenient place and reattach with a couple of pieces if trans cooler line and hose clamps. be very careful to make sure the torque converter is completely seated in the front pump before installing the trans. you're on your own when it comes to the exhaust system.

Can you get to the top two tranny bolts by removing the console and going in through the hatch under the console? I could bust out those handy dandy manuals I bought, lmao..... Did I tell you everything you look at in those manuals is like reading a novel?

Pull the front wheels too, splash guards and right side fender liner. This offers SOME access to exhaust, a trans bolt or two, dipstick bracket, and I believe cooler lines and a harness connector.

OK so I plan on just driving it until it dies, it'll save my mustang a bit of wear and tear and that was the point. When it dies I'll just fall back to the mustang and decide to either junk it or swap a used transmission.

The transmission shop said the fluid was dirty, he might've even said it looked almost burnt. Is there any reason I shouldn't at least get the trans fluid flushed?

Dont flush it. Get them to drop the pan, change the filter and snug up all the valve body bolts. If its the Torque converter it will make a rattling sound in park or low rpms with a vibration. If you have that going on then there isn't much you can do.

Just an update, in case anyone cares. I decided to keep the car. I replaced the front wheel bearings, paid to get the transmission fixed and I had a pretty big hole in the muffler so I replaced that too. Truck is now running nice and hopefully it'll last me a few years.

Just an update, in case anyone cares. I decided to keep the car. I replaced the front wheel bearings, paid to get the transmission fixed and I had a pretty big hole in the muffler so I replaced that too. Truck is now running nice and hopefully it'll last me a few years.

Good to hear it's running nicely.
So what was the final cost for the trans replacement?

The tranny on my 95 XLT died at 69K miles in 2004. I had it rebuilt for 1,400 back then. Ten years later it still functions perfectly, hopefully yours will last that long.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago except that the truck was my son’s. Lost reverse but the rest of the truck was so clean I just couldn’t let it go to salvage. So decided to put in a rebuilt (not used) transmission. Financially, it was probably a mistake. Cost $2300 total. It has other issues but noting serious. Problem is trucks these old live day by day. It could die tomorrow for another reason. I doubt I can sell it for much more than $1500. For now, we have a nice SUV parked outside.

When I'm faced with a large repair expense I remind myself that, while it might not be worth fixing it from a financial standpoint, you know what you have. If you replace your used vehicle with another used vehicle you can spend as much money only to find you're in the same boat in a month or two, with a vehicle that maybe isn't as nice as the one you let go. I'd hate to scrap a vehicle just because it needs a transmission repair, so I'd probably pay to have it fixed. The exception was the POS 2001 XLT my daughter bought, which started my Explorer/Gen II odyssey. When the timing chains finally went I was more than happy to scrap it.

The red line for me is an engine failure of some sort or any repair bill over a grand. We have more cars than know what to do with so I don’t need this. It just fell in my lap. I must admit I love the ride and comfort of it. It is by far my pick for highway drive. And then there is that drip, drip, drip. If I fix one more thing it is gonna be perfect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The red line for me is an engine failure of some sort or any repair bill over a grand. We have more cars than know what to do with so I don’t need this. It just fell in my lap. I must admit I love the ride and comfort of it. It is by far my pick for highway drive. And then there is that drip, drip, drip. If I fix one more thing it is gonna be perfect.

I hear what you're saying. I basically recently spent $1500 just to have a back-up vehicle in case one of the other ones died (my luck, I just had 2 die in the same week). if the '97 SOHC engine broke, I probably would not fix it. if I had an engine issue with one of the V8's, I'd probably buy a reman engine and install it. they're reasonably inexpensive.

Back