• Register Today It's free!

Hub assembly.

carolinian

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4D 2WD XLT
I have replaced the front, driver's side hub assembly 3 times today. I have used the store brand parts. It's driving me crazy. Is it the parts or is it me? I have diagnosed which side was bad in this way that follows, tell me if I am wrong: Going down the road at any moderate speed, go into a sweeping right hand turn, which loads the left wheel bearing, I get a roar. No roar in a left hand sweeping turn. Additionally, just driving straight and moving the steering wheel back and forth, staying in my lane of course, I get a roar turning to the right, and none when turning to the left. I hear a steady low hum on the driver side front when driving straight. I have discussed this with 3 different mechanics, all agree with my diagnosis. My question is, do I need to buy top of the line hub assembly, like Timken? What if the Timkens still make noise? This is not a difficult repair for me, 5 lug nuts, 2 caliper bolts, 3 hub bolts, connect the ABS wire, simple. Please, some suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks for listening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you and the 3 "mechanics" have misdiagnosed your problem. Try installing the bearing you removed in the first place on the other side.

Do the bearing on the other side. Mine did the same thing. I would have sworn no a stack of bibles it was the left front making the most noise, but it turned out that the right front was really bad. The left front was bad too, just not as bad.

My question is, do I need to buy top of the line hub assembly, like Timken? What if the Timkens still make noise?

Honestly, it wouldnt hurt to buy the Timken, I purhcased two of them through RockAuto, its really worth it and honestly if you are replacing one, might as well replace both at the same time. No noises also, smooth and quiet for the most part, already logged like 5k miles on them and still no issues.

When you removed the old bearing, can you turn it easily by hand? Does it feel smooth or gritty? You'll be able to feel the difference between a bad bearing and a good one.

Honestly, it wouldnt hurt to buy the Timken, I purhcased two of them through RockAuto, its really worth it and honestly if you are replacing one, might as well replace both at the same time. No noises also, smooth and quiet for the most part, already logged like 5k miles on them and still no issues.

Just replaced the bearings on ours this past weekend and did both sides since the part was just cheaper to buy the pair.

When you removed the old bearing, can you turn it easily by hand? Does it feel smooth or gritty? You'll be able to feel the difference between a bad bearing and a good one.

What iBrent said if you can barely turn it by hand (like mine was) then that one is definitely bad.

Hub assembly

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. I will take your advice and replace the passenger side assembly. Next week. I will post an update. Thanks.

JUst replaced the right frt on mine. It was bad enough that I could hear it over the phone when my wife called saying she was stopping to get a bearing. But now it is quieter than it has been since she bought it in Dec of last year. 74,500 miles on that one.

Mine felt rough.. I could hear/feel the roughness when driving. There was tension when turning them. The new ones pretty much spun on their own if you spun it with your hands.

We carry the Timken line. If you would like a price quote on them, you can shoot me a PM if you want.

I just tossed a set of Timkens in my 04 Grand Cherokee. My truck's nice and quite now.

We carry the Timken line. If you would like a price quote on them, you can shoot me a PM if you want.

I just tossed a set of Timkens in my 04 Grand Cherokee. My truck's nice and quite now.

1A Auto is great, fast shipping and great customer service.

Just installed your brand of hubs on our 03 Explorer and it's smooth as glass now.

Back