Hub/Brgs Replacement 2003 4x4 Sport-Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hub/Brgs Replacement 2003 4x4 Sport-Trac

kingcole

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I need advice, I have a 03 sport trac 4x4 xlt that needs a new hub assm./ brgs on the right front. Is this something I can do myself or do you need special tools? Thank you for any advice you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need advice, I have a 03 sport trac 4x4 xlt that needs a new hub assm./ brgs on the right front. Is this something I can do myself or do you need special tools? Thank you for any advice you may have.
Do you own 15mm, 13mm, and 8mm sockets? Do you own I think a 5mm allen wrench? If so, then you might be able to handle it.

Have you ever changed your own brake pads or rotor before? The brakes and brake caliper bracket and rotor need to be removed before taking off the hub/bearing assembly. The brake caliper bracket bolts might be a little tough to get off since Ford puts threadlocker on those bolts.

The quick and dirty procedure is...

1. Remove wheel/tire
2. Remove brake caliper - two 13mm bolts
3. Remove brake pads
4. Remove caliper bracket - two 15mm bolts
5. Remove brake rotor
6. Remove dust shield - three 8mm bolts
7. Remove ABS sensor from hub - 5mm(educated guess) allen bolt
8. Remove hub/bearing assembly - three 15mm bolts (helps to turn the wheel to get to the bolts since they are on the back side of the knuckle.

Oh, I forgot one crucial step/tool needed. The axle nut needs to be taken off. It's a 1 1/4" socket. You could do that first before jacking the wheel/tire off of the ground.

Believe me, I know. Because as I type I'm in the middle of switching one set of hub/bearing assemblies between my two trucks. I went the alignment done on the Sport Trac this morning and the shop wouldn't do it since its passenger side bearing is a little bit wobbly. So, I am swamping that one with one from my 2000 Explorer Limited so that I can get the alignment done in the morning. I don't have the funds to go buy a new hub/bearing assembly right now. And I want to drive the Sport Trac for now. :D

2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4X2. Front Brake calipers bolts. Anybody have the top and bottom bolts turn but will not come out to remove the caliper? If so how do get bolts out. With ratchet on bolt just goes round and round. Will not come out

Back