• Register Today It's free!

hub grease

wirzy79

Reaction score
City, State
philadelphia,pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
How much grease should be in the hub, and what kind of grease should be used? I am going to take mine off and clean them. There is alot of grease inside them. The problem I am having is when 4x4 is engaged, I get a buzzing from the hub. I will try and clean them and see if that works. If not, it looks like manuals are going in.

The hub should not have much grease in it, just a light coating. Biggest mistake people make is over-greasing hubs. I suggest soaking the hubs in ATF overnight to clean them out and see what happens. Inspect the cam for wear, too.

I have always used NLGI No. 3 spec grease, which is the gray moly grease you can buy at any auto parts store.

Buzzing in the hub? I've heard that before. Usually the thing that breaks in the auto hubs is the toothed cam piece (you'll see what I mean when you take it apart) because these pieces are PLASTIC. If the cam piece is busted the hubs won't engage, but they will try, hence the noise. It would be cheaper to put in manuals than to replace with new autohubs.

Back