Huge power loss from engine. (Misfired detected) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Huge power loss from engine. (Misfired detected)

V8Turdplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I have an 03 4.6l V8 Explorer.

The wife drove the truck and it spit out a spark plug. I checked out the engine and the spark plug was on top of the engine. I thought I had screwed it back in and tried to drive it the next day. Huge loss of power so I took it home after a block and a half of driving. Took it to the shop and they told me I have misfire on #3 and #7 and to replace plugs and coils with Motorcraft parts. I bought the parts and when trying to install them I noticed the threads were stripped in the spark plug chamber. I have since rethreaded the hole and used a calvan kit to do an insert replacement. Once I was able to get all of my plugs and coils working, I tried to drive the truck to test and still have power loss. Any recommendations on how to proceed? I hate to drive it but I will be taking it to the local auto shop to check the computer again they are about 3 blocks away.

Please help :(

EDIT:
So the verdict is in.

Error codes:

P0316 Misfire in the first 1000 revs
P0174 Fuel system too lean (cylinder bank 2)
P0300 Random misfire detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire
P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire
P0353 Ignition coil 1-10 primary/secondary circuit malfunction
P0456 EVAP control system very small leak (0.020")
P0102 MAF sensor circuit low input
P0113 IST sensor circuit high input
P0171 Fuel system too lean (Cylinder bank 1)

I have been without a vehicle for 2 weeks now. please help :(

.054 or 0.56 gap. they were actually already properly gapped from Motorcraft but I did double check to make sure.

I went to the shop and pulled the codes. I added them to the original post.

Back