• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Issues

baddriver

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 XLT
I cannot seem to find reference to this issue anywhere else. For reference - I have an 08 XLT with Manual HVAC controls (no rear HVAC)

Cold air blows out of a round hole(in the HVAC Case) in the drivers side floor boards area. This happens when the heat is on.

First off - I replaced the heater blend door actuator with an OEM replacement, and have confirmed that the blend door works (per manual movement), and the actuator works.

The exterior air recirculation door works (visual observation)

The vent selector (floor, dash defrost, floor and dash, floor and defrost) seems to work. I get airflow in the appropriate places when they are selected at the appropriate temperature selected.

When the temperature selector is set to heat, there is heat blowing out of the other vents in the dash, and even the vents on the inner drivers floor well next to where the blend door is located. When it is set to cold, the vents get cold...

When i turn the blower off, the cold airflow stops, so i know it has to be related to the HVAC, and not another external source.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the source of cold air, This round hole, next to the blend door actuator. (drivers side interior footwell)

While hot air comes out of all of the other floor vents, this round hole spits out cold air (and it does so at a much higher volume than the other floor vents)

Photos of the hole in question

http://imgur.com/a/JITId
BJfELAh.jpg

mLP7rvJ.jpg

is there supposed to be a hose and a valve plugged into this hole? check out this diagram i found (the parts in question are circles, and marked in red)
PXIykXX.png

I looked at my 06, but didn't see a hole like that. Not positive I am looking in the exact spot, but above the blend door actuator I have a tube that goes up. I will try to take a photo tonight or tomorrow.

I think you are correct, I tried taking photos, but I can't upload any here. I think you will need the 19E628 and the 19D888B. The hose I have looks like the one eBay except mine is black. I think the 19E628 is a valve that stops the air from coming out. You may be able to get the parts from a junk yard/you pick it type place. looks like several fords/mercury vehicles share the same parts and probable save a lot of money.

Do you have any idea where the other side of the tube connects?

it doesn't connect to anything, it just tucks in just above the panel below the steering wheel. If I was allowed to upload a picture I would. Not sure how many posts i need before I can do that, but may someone who is allowed will upload one for you.

can you upload the pic to imgur and paste the link on here?

Update - i fixed the issue..no more cold drivers feet.

I bought and installed 7L2Z-19D888-A which the white valve that goes into the hole.. The top part with clips fit into the hole perfectly.
prKzFCD.jpg

there is a cap on the left side, and the larger right side appears to just be some sort of open venturi that points upward - into the dash... It appears to divert any air that comes outupward into the dash, and it also forces more air to come out of the vents.

I cannot seem to find reference to this issue anywhere else. For reference - I have an 08 XLT with Manual HVAC controls (no rear HVAC)

Cold air blows out of a round hole(in the HVAC Case) in the drivers side floor boards area. This happens when the heat is on.

First off - I replaced the heater blend door actuator with an OEM replacement, and have confirmed that the blend door works (per manual movement), and the actuator works.

The exterior air recirculation door works (visual observation)

The vent selector (floor, dash defrost, floor and dash, floor and defrost) seems to work. I get airflow in the appropriate places when they are selected at the appropriate temperature selected.

When the temperature selector is set to heat, there is heat blowing out of the other vents in the dash, and even the vents on the inner drivers floor well next to where the blend door is located. When it is set to cold, the vents get cold...

When i turn the blower off, the cold airflow stops, so i know it has to be related to the HVAC, and not another external source.

Had the same problem on a 2010, turned out there was a piece the factory had left out that filled the hole.

Back