HVAC Recirculating Door Actuator

Javier B

Reaction score
City, State
Austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hi folks.
There are a million threads and repair videos about the HVAC blend door actuator, but I cant find anything about the Max Air Recirculation Door Actuator. Mine appears kaput. But I can't find any advice on checking for sure, or even what the part number is to look for a replacement actuator.
I have a 95 Explorer XLT with the regular HVAC controls. It appears that nothing happens when I switch to Max AC. The actuator does not move. Does anyone know if there is maybe a fuse or other issue before I remove it? and any idea what the part number is? Any diagram or advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi folks.
There are a million threads and repair videos about the HVAC blend door actuator, but I cant find anything about the Max Air Recirculation Door Actuator. Mine appears kaput. But I can't find any advice on checking for sure, or even what the part number is to look for a replacement actuator.
I have a 95 Explorer XLT with the regular HVAC controls. It appears that nothing happens when I switch to Max AC. The actuator does not move. Does anyone know if there is maybe a fuse or other issue before I remove it? and any idea what the part number is? Any diagram or advice would be welcome. Thanks!

IIRC the re-circulation actuator is located to the right of the glove box above the passenger kick panel. It's not electrically actuated, it's run by vacuum. To test the actuator you need to determine if it's capable of holding vacuum. This can be done with a hand-held vacuum tester. If the actuator will not hold vacuum it will need to be replaced. There are several other similar vacuum actuator used in the HVAC system, though I'm not sure if they're interchangeable from a mounting standpoint. If the actuator holds vacuum and functions it's possible that it is not receiving vacuum. This could be due to a pinched vacuum line or a bad HVAC switch. A vacuum gauge can be used to trouble-shoot the lines and switch from the engine to the actuator.

I assume your XLT most likely has the manual (3 knobs) HVAC controls, which make trouble shooting and repair much easier. The EATC HVAC controls used on the EB and Ltd models are much harder to diagnosis and repair.

Yes, thanks.
It seems when I pull the vacuum hose from the actuator that there is a very very faint vacuum, but how do I trace that vacuum line to determine the problem? Is there any illustration or how-to on that? Its a white vacuum line but it just disappears behind the console. Does this require the entire dash to come off to trace or is there a less horrible method? All the other controls for various vents seem to work fine and without issue.

Yes, thanks.
It seems when I pull the vacuum hose from the actuator that there is a very very faint vacuum, but how do I trace that vacuum line to determine the problem? Is there any illustration or how-to on that? Its a white vacuum line but it just disappears behind the console. Does this require the entire dash to come off to trace or is there a less horrible method? All the other controls for various vents seem to work fine and without issue.

Remove the radio bezel (2 screws over the HVAC control panel and pull. There are metal push-in clips in the upper corners. Note: The radio will come with the bezel unless you remove the radio first). Unplug radio and disconnect the various electrical connectors and remove radio w/bezel.

There are 4 screws that hold the HVAC control panel to the dash. Remove the screws and pull the HVAC panel out. On the rear of the panel you'll see the various colored silicon vacuum hoses connected to the function selection switch. That's the only place the white line goes as far as I know. Engine vacuum comes in thru the firewall and supplies the vacuum source for the HVAC function selection switch.

Thanks.
But does that white vacuum line not also go to something called the "Heater Water Diverter Valve" somewhere in between (#16 in the diagram below) ? I have no idea where that thing is, because - if my rather limited information is correct - there is some kind of T-connection there. I don't really know for sure, but all the lines seem to connect to something that disappears behind the heater. :-(
I do get *some* vacuum on the white line, but it should be a lot, right, not just a meager bit? I fear a trip to the mechanic is in my near future.
AC vacuum 3.jpg

The heater control valve (never heard of it being called "heater water diverter valve", but I guess you could call it that...) is not located inside the cabin. It's located in the engine compartment, passenger side and is controlled by vacuum. It has it's own vacuum line and it's a hard plastic black line. When you select the Max A/C setting the heater control valve is closed, which prevents hot water from flowing into the heater core. The outside fresh-air door is also closed so that cabin air is recirculated.

Back