• Register Today It's free!

Blend door actuator

RaineSky9

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer
4.0 L
4WD
I'm trying to replace the blend door actuator in my truck. The AC is good but it doesn't have heat and makes the "famous" clicking.
My problem is, today I've tried to install 2 new actuators, both have started smoking within a few seconds. I'm completely lost over what in the world is going on.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you still have the original 1995 actuator?
It may be best to try and repair the stock unit
Is your 95 manual or electronic HVAC controls?

Are the ones you are trying to use Dorman replacements?

How did you establish that it's the actuator, and not the door itself, that is the problem?

Do you still have the original 1995 actuator?
It may be best to try and repair the stock unit
Is your 95 manual or electronic HVAC controls?

Are the ones you are trying to use Dorman replacements?
I still have the original and have the directions to rebuild it.. the replacement ones came from AutoZone

How did you establish that it's the actuator, and not the door itself, that is the problem?
I recently coverted it to RHD to use for a mail route, which is making it hard to get to, but tomorrow I plan to be able to get inside and manually flip the door, if I have no other choice

Well mine worked intermittently and made a click click sound, but the problem was actually the "D" shaped female receptacle on the blend door itself. The plastic had broken but the actuator itself was fine. When you pulled the actuator out, did you try sweeping the temp from cold to hot and watching it to see if it moves OK?

I have cut the box open more then once so the door could be manually flipped from "winter to summer"
Dorman sells a replacement blend door, it comes with a template that shows you where to cut

Well mine worked intermittently and made a click click sound, but the problem was actually the "D" shaped female receptacle on the blend door itself. The plastic had broken but the actuator itself was fine. When you pulled the actuator out, did you try sweeping the temp from cold to hot and watching it to see if it moves OK?

As soon as they were hooked up and the air was turned on, they instantly started to smoke. We ended up having to manually flip the door to heat.... As long as I don't freeze I'm happy

Back