i cant pass smog | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i cant pass smog

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
i have a first gen 4x4 eddie bauer explorer and i have done a few modifications to it. i probably messed up by getting a cam that was too radical. i live in CA so the laws are even more restricting as to what i can do to my car. i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to get this thing to pass smog. also, i think this cam is not allowing my engine to produce horsepower the way it should. it feels like the truck falls flat on its face when i put my foot into it, but at idle and low rpm it seems to be fine. this makes me worry that my computer just wont allow the engine to perform at its peek capabilities. is there a performance pcm (ecm/ecu...or whatever ford calls their on-board computer) solution for my problem?

i really, really, dont want to have to take the cam out and replace it...not cuz of the loss of horsepower but because of the giant pain in the butt it would be :p:

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Playing with toys always comes with a price tag, especially if you forget to keep it within certain guidelines..;)

...I got to ask though, Didn't having to get it smogged cross your mind while you were upgrading the motor?

..Where in Anaheim are you?

ya it did cross my mind but i think there was a misunderstanding between me and the guy that reground my cam...i think that he thought this was going to be a toy that i towed everywhere.

im on the placentia/Anaheim border near orangethorp and kreamer

...A couple questions come to mind...

...What all type of mods have you added?

...What is your cold and warm idle rpms?

when you say falls flat do you mean wants to stall or a lull in power then picks up, or just slow to respond? are you sure that everything else is working properly like the MAF, Throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor? how radical did he make the cam?

ok i hope i hit on every question.

the mods i did were: bored out 30 over, performance cam, and headers

by falls flat i mean it gets to a certain rpm and it feel like i am trying to pull a giant parachute behind the vehicle

the cam that i have is...gross lift at cam intake 335 exhaust 335...degree of duration intake 223 exhaust 223

cold rpm is around 850 but with this cam there is a slight lope

havent had a chance to see the warm rpm

as far as all the sensors, we have checked the maf and the tps and both seem to be working

also, just about all the other components are new as well...new alternator new fuel pump new battery harness new fan recently serviced injectors, and im sure i forgot a few others

...Are all the smog components there and hooked up?

..Are the headers Cali legal with a tag on them?

...Unless the truck is warmed up, the computer has it running differently..In fact, it will run at factory settings for a few trips till it does some of it's own self test to verify everything and receives feedback at operating temperature...

..Did you put a stock Tstat back in?

yes all the smog components are there

yes the headers are ca legal

and yes the thermostat is a stock one...i think...i'll have check on that

your right about the computer but i have been a little afraid of running it just in case it is not just the computer and i might be damaging the engine

but i appreciate the check lists i will definitely go back and check all of the things you guys mentioned

could the cam have been installed improperly could their be a tight bearing or a bearing that tightens when warm or on accel? could the cam have been ground improperly like the valve duration is too short? you have to figure the problem with the motor before you can consider smog. you may not even be able to smog the beast even after you fix your problem.

next set of questions
what is your temp like? warm? did you do anything to the heads... like replace them? cause i don't know if stock heads in that 4.0 will handle .30 over with a cam mod. it will probably over heat and crack the head.... just thinking did you overheat this AT ALL? just a warning DO NOT OVERHEAT this motor. thousands of eploders now live in the junkyard because of head issues.
i live in nor cal. so we have the one time smog rule. never have to re-smog as long as you own the vehicle. you might see if you can change your address to nor cal somewhere if you have a relative here or something somewhere above SF and SAC.

..I gotta ask as it gets asked often..What brand headers do you have that are Cali legal and did you buy them new (from Where)?

your right about the computer but i have been a little afraid of running it just in case it is not just the computer and i might be damaging the engine

..This gives me some concern...It's been quite a while since I built my own motors but when I did I walked everything by the block guy, the heads guy, the cam guy, etc. to make sure we were all on the same page and nothing interfered or deferred with the performance objective I was seeking...

...:scratch:...Just speculating here but your concerns tells me you may not be to comfortable of how all this went together on your build...

..Who orchestrated your build?

i can confidently say that the cam and the bearings were installed properly. as for the cam, i really couldnt say just because this is the first cam that i have taken to Ruben's Racing Cams. sadly, yes i do realize that it may not be able to get it smogged. my temp is great...back in 91 when my dad ordered this truck from the dealer he had the performance tow package put in and it came with the larger radiator and a transmission cooler, plus the water pump and the thermostat are brand new.

the headers are pacesetter headers and i honestly dont remember where i got them but they are cali legal. my dad orchestrated this rebuild. he has over 30 years of experience with working on cars, he is an ase master tech, so i trust his skills, but my dad has always had a certain paranoia when it comes to rebuilding engines just because if you dont pay attention to detail then you could seriously ruin your vehicle.

anyways, i really appreciate you guys trying to help me out. i know i havent made it easy haha

oh and by the way is 15" of vacuum too little?

..Please don't think I was in anyway bashing..:D

...His paranoia is good to have as all it takes is one of them guys doing a little something "Extra" and it changes everything...

IIRC, you should be reading about 20 on the vacuum...Since you said you haven't warmed it up, I might have said your 850 idle was a hair high if it ws in the warm condition..Brake booster and pcv elbows are common places to check for small leaks..

...If it were me, I would go to each of the guys who did the work and tell them of your situation..They might just have something else useful to add to your information..

thanks for all the help and suggestions. i think i will go talk to my machine shop and my cam grinder. hopefully i get this thing figured out soon:D

Back