I hate the key fob (intelligent key) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I hate the key fob (intelligent key)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll often leave the fob in the console. To do this the doors have to be locked using the fob when you leave the EX. Unlock it with the doorpost keypad and you can just leave the fob in the vehicle.

Same here . . When the weather's decent, I leave the key in the sunglasses holder up top. I then just lock and unlock the car with the keypad.

When the weather's too hot or too cold however, I keep the key with me. That way I can remote start as I'm heading out to the parking lot to give the extra minute or two of cool down/warm up time.

If you leave the fob in the car anyone can drive it away...if they gain access and try the pushbutton. Won't happen too often, but...

If you leave the fob in the car anyone can drive it away...if they gain access and try the pushbutton. Won't happen too often, but...
Not entirely correct. When you lock the IA key in the vehicle, and the perimeter alarm is armed, the key will deactivate after 20 seconds. You won't be able to use it again until you activate it by pressing the 'unlock' button on the fob.
In any case, it is not recommended to leave the key in the vehicle, and especially not in plain view.

Peter

Not entirely correct. When you lock the IA key in the vehicle, and the perimeter alarm is armed, the key will deactivate after 20 seconds. You won't be able to use it again until you activate it by pressing the 'unlock' button on the fob.
In any case, it is not recommended to leave the key in the vehicle, and especially not in plain view.

Peter

I have the IA key in the bottom of the console under the removable tray. I use the door key pad to lock and unlock the car. I have never had to hit the Unlock button to use the fob on the rare occasions when I have removed it to take with me.

Well I ended up ditching the leather cover and went back to the silicone cover. I took the key apart and taped over the panic alarm contact. So far so good...except apparently I somehow hit the button twice to open the tailgate while I was taking it out of my pocket... so that banged right into the garage door. Didn't appear to be any damage though

Back