I have an oil leak......somewhere! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have an oil leak......somewhere!

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an '06 4.0L w/50k miles on it. I notice the oil pan and surrounding area has drops of oil on it. It's not leaking very much, but looks like it is. A little oil goes a long way. I don't know exactly where the oil is coming from, but everything looks dry from the top of the engine down until I get to the front left side of the oil pan. I cleaned everything once to try and see where it's leaking, but forgot about it. Before I try and diagnose it again, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I'm hoping it's the oil pan gasket. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK.........so today I cleaned EVERYTHING in the vicinity of the leak. Most of the oil was in the vicinity of the rear (lowest part) of the oil pan near what I think is the starter motor. The pan is not rusted. Is it possible there could be a leak at the starter bolts? I'm not even totally sure its motor oil, it could be 80W-90 from the differential at the universal joint.....I just don't know. So I'll wait a few days and get back under and check it out. I know I can't be the only one with this problem. If I am, then I'm sure Ford is plotting against me. To be continued........

It's been one day and I checked the leak. There was oil on several surfaces....oil pan...upper oil pan....differential.....frame. The oil seems a little grayer than usual dark brown used motor oil. The axle seals appear to be ok. I'm hoping it's not the upper oil pan gasket. It might be the pinion seal. The problem with checking the leak after a drive is that the oil blows everywhere. So I cleaned everything again and I have it sitting outside running at the moment. If it is the pinion seal, the driveshaft might have to be turning to make it leak. Tomorrow I'll check the differential fluid and see how much I've lost, if any. I could also change the oil so the oil would be clear, and that might identify what oil was leaking. To be continued.....

Did you ever find your leak? I have one that sounds very similar and its frusterating!

I hope you found something.

It was the pinion seal. A friend of mine with a lift and power tools helped me change the seal. As far as I can tell the leak stopped. I'll check it better in the spring. Winter is nasty up here. It took about 1 1/2 hours to replace the seal. It was a little difficult to access, but the lift and power tools made it fairly easy.

Back