I have some transmission & transfer case issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have some transmission & transfer case issues.

Explorer L94

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited 4X4
Hello,

I just recently purchased a 94 Limited Explorer 4X4 and it has a couple problems. Was searching on the internet and led me to this forum.

Its nice to have such places to seek information when needed. It has two problems. The first is the A4LD tranny will shift into all gears. But it revs between shifts, and if you lift slightly it will go ahead and shift. The second problem is the push button 4WD will light up but the 4X4 does not work. It will shift into 4 Low with the transfer case but still no 4X4.

Those are the problems I'm having if someone could point me in the right direction. As far as the tranny goes the fluid was terrible. I dropped the pan, cleaned and changed it and the filter today. It's still doing the same thing as before but not as bad. I guess my next question is there is a modulator valve and vacuum line from the tranny to the engine and where is it located? Could that be it. I didn't really get a chance to look for it today.

With the 4X4, I'm assuming for some reason the hubs are not locking in. I don't hear it engage when I push the button.

The vehicle has 220+ K miles on it but the engine still runs pretty well. Its in fair condition and I purchased it for a cback up winter vehicle. After I get these things corrected I plan to go over it and get the other things straightened out on it.

Thanks

Steve

:)

So Far

I changed the transmission Filter and fluid. I pulled the tranny lines at the front and run the engine till most of the fluid was out. Dropped the pan. Looking at the fluid and filter, I'm wondering if it has ever been changed.

I sprayed the valve body and all surfaces with brake cleaner to remove anything that may have been on the outside surface. Put it all back together and refilled with fresh fluid. Took 5 quarts to fill. Road tested the vehicle. It is still there albeit a bit better.

Yesterday I pulled the center console, removed the passenger seat pulled the carpet up and removed the sight pan. I removed the modulator valve. I saw no signs of fluid in the rubber line but I'm still wondering if the modulator valve itself is frozen up inside. It feels as though it may be. I've ordered one and waiting on it to come in.

While under the Explorer I also checked the front shaft from the transfer case to the differential and the halfshafts to the hubs. After a couple turns the hub on the right (Passenger side) locked. The one on the left would only lock if I stuck a screwdriver in it to lock it against something. I tend to believe the 4WD problem is in fact the hubs. The light on the dash comes on. Like I said it does go into low range at the transfer case when it is activated. But still no 4X4.

Soon as I get the tranny problem sorted I plan to pull the hubs and either clean those and try to reinstall or get another set.

When I get it all sorted out I'll check and change all the other fluids, etc.

Lot of good information on here. If anyone has any other suggestions for me please let me know.

Thanks Again.

Back