blakeaferd

Reaction score
City, State
Pembroke, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4X4 XLT
Hi,
I have a 1993 4X4 XLT with 230 000km
underneath the cab, like feels near the front seats, there is a grinding noise that almost sounds like a clutch drill. I took apart the front end all the U joints are perfect, diffs are fine, Ive narrowed it to the tranny or transfer case and have not had time to go any further. It shifts fine and i think i'm still getting 4X4.
Please help me diagnose the problem
Much appreciated,
Blake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the noise present in 2H? Assuming the hubs are unlocking, none of the front drivetrain is active in 2H, so if the noise goes away in 2H, then it could easily be something in the front drivetrain. If the noise is present in 2H and you can verify that the hubs are unlocking, then you can eliminate the front drivetrain. At that point, you would be looking at something like the output shaft bearing on the tcase if it's a tcase problem.

Do you still have the stock auto hubs? They have a way of making noises when they aren't working right. If you haven't tried cleaning them out, you might want to try that.

Will it make the noise up on a lift? It might be useful, if you can do it safely, to poke around the drivetrain with a stethoscope on a lift to see if you can pin down where the noise is coming from.

The noise is present in 2H. They are stock hubs and that was one of the first things i did was clean them. I think you might have it with the output shaft, or output shaft bearing, now can i change this without taking out the transfer case? I can't get it on a lift, I'm currently stuck in a town that I dont know anyone. and I dont have a decent jack, so The ford is stuck where it is for now.
thanks.

thats what i thought , i'll check it out, but thanks a lot there bud

I don't know how to change the output bearing on these. They don't seem to fail very often, because the discussion doesn't come up frequently.

How about a rear u-joint? You said you took apart the front drivetrain, maybe it's in the rear drivetrain? Cracked flexplates make noise, but I haven't personally experienced it, so I don't know exactly how it sounds. Have you checked the transfer case fluid level?

Ya i'm pretty sure its the transfer case, i have had no time to work on it so thats why i had to get on explorer forum, i havent seen it in a couple days, but i just needed to know what was up with my baby, then i can start figureing out what to do from here, I know that the transfer case would need a rebuild after this winter because i have been using 4by a lot this year. Iam gonna take out the existing tansfer case and sell the housing as I have found a buyer, and im gonna buy an import 4banger to get me till the end of school for now, then get a new better transfer case for it. But i must say I thanks you very much for the help as well as this site.
Thanks,
Blake

Back