I Installed Tip-Tronic Shift In My '14 Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Installed Tip-Tronic Shift In My '14 Sport

calm down there Tommy Toughnuts.

I also have done a fair amount of racing, mostly autocross, with a stick shift and I always had 2 hands on the wheel. Noone races with one hand on the wheel. Only time 1 hand is on the wheel is actually during a shift and that is never during a turn or stopping maneuver.

I highly doubt you have more control with 1 hand then you do with 2.

:salute:

Uh, autocrossing is not racing RedNeck (OMG I TOOK OUT A CONE, THATS +1 pn my scoresheet!!!!!!). Mostly I drive one handed, need one hand for my Latte right??? BTW, the SoCal region 9 has a Porsche club cone killer event this weekend in Pomona, Ill be there one handing the 928....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uh, autocrossing is not racing RedNeck (OMG I TOOK OUT A CONE, THATS +1 pn my scoresheet!!!!!!). Mostly I drive one handed, need one hand for my Latte right??? BTW, the SoCal region 9 has a Porsche club cone killer event this weekend in Pomona, Ill be there one handing the 928....

LOL

well, have fun in the Porsche.

man some people on here make me embarassed to even own an explorer lol

OMG you take your hand off the wheel while you're driving and place it on the shifter?!?!?! That's so dangerous and negligent!!!! OMG!!!!!

OMG you upshift during a turn! You're going to CRASH!!!

OMG you use a driving mode that disables some safety features?!?! You should turn yourself in to the local police station ASAP! And if you own any vehicle that doesn't even have those safety nannies that the explorer has, immediately take that vehicle to teh crusher because it's SOOO unsafe and negligent to allow those types of vehicles on the road!

I can't wait for cars to computer control themselves, not allow ANY safety features to be bypassed, remove manual shifting capability 100%, and require latches on the steering wheel to lock your hands on from ever being removed while driving. Anything else is sooooo dangerous and you shoudl be ashamed!

What a bunch of weiners on this forum!

OMG you take your hand off the wheel while you're driving and place it on the shifter?!?!?! That's so dangerous and negligent!!!! OMG!!!!!

OMG you use a driving mode that disables some safety features?!?! You should turn yourself in to the local police station ASAP! And if you own any vehicle that doesn't even have those safety nannies that the explorer has, immediately take that vehicle to the crusher because it's SOOO unsafe and negligent to allow those types of vehicles on the road!

lol.. the point was to show the pattern of stupidity that goes along w/ the original post. This "tiptronic" process is juvenile, and ridiculous. The OP admits he's had 2 shift cable replacements in the first 6k miles of driving. The rest is just added onto the OP's stupidity and lack of common sense.

We've all done the above, we all do it regularly likely. But we also don't go suggesting anyone else do it as proper driving.

man some people on here make me embarassed to even own an explorer lol

OMG you use a driving mode that disables some safety features?!?! You should turn yourself in to the local police station ASAP! And if you own any vehicle that doesn't even have those safety nannies that the explorer has, immediately take that vehicle to the crusher because it's SOOO unsafe and negligent to allow those types of vehicles on the road!

I can't wait for cars to computer control themselves, not allow ANY safety features to be bypassed, remove manual shifting capability 100%, and require latches on the steering wheel to lock your hands on from ever being removed while driving. Anything else is sooooo dangerous and you shoudl be ashamed!

What a bunch of weiners on this forum!

hahahaha

ignorant people who think they are better than someone else because they drive around a track makes me embarrassed to own an explorer. :)

and wasn't the response about an "Emergency maneuver" - in that case 2 hands are much better than 1. Racing and experience should have taught everyone that, unless you are just trying to impress people on the interwebz.

Don't think people on here want robot cars, at least that isn't what I got out of it. Could be wrong though, it has happened once or twice before. :)

lol.. the point was to show the pattern of stupidity that goes along w/ the original post. This "tiptronic" process is juvenile, and ridiculous. The OP admits he's had 2 shift cable replacements in the first 6k miles of driving. The rest is just added onto the OP's stupidity and lack of common sense.

We've all done the above, we all do it regularly likely. But we also don't go suggesting anyone else do it as proper driving.

Thanks for resorting to juvenile name calling in this thread 13. REALLY mature!
Uh, the 2 shift cables was sarcasm genius.

lol the only stupidity was those who missed the glaring sarcasim in the 2 shifter cables in 6k miles part lol

gimme a break people, why are you actively participating on enthusiasts forums if you're bone stock & safety Nazis?

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Thank you for bringing this one back, I had a great laugh reading through it. Should be a sticky.

Well then, by all means DONT try it. Your Prius is calling you anyway...

If any enthusiastic driver were reckless and foolhardy enough to try shifting with the selector, they'd notice that it is a higher quality shift. That little millisecond of spark cut(or fuel cut?) that the paddles affect when used is absent when using the selector. Likely that's why the drag racers on EcoboostPerformanceForums don't use the paddles and are rewarded with quicker ET's by not using them. Please kids, don't try this technique at home, it's is clearly an advanced method well above the skillset of some of the posters in this thread...

Likely that's why the drag racers on EcoboostPerformanceForums don't use the paddles and are rewarded with quicker ET's by not using them.

But they also aren't using the shifter to shift.. they're tuning the shift points via software. This "advanced method" of yours is no more efficient than using the paddles, I'd love to see your data confirming otherwise.

Well then, by all means DONT try it. Your Prius is calling you anyway...

If any enthusiastic driver were reckless and foolhardy enough to try shifting with the selector, they'd notice that it is a higher quality shift. That little millisecond of spark cut(or fuel cut?) that the paddles affect when used is absent when using the selector. Likely that's why the drag racers on EcoboostPerformanceForums don't use the paddles and are rewarded with quicker ET's by not using them. Please kids, don't try this technique at home, it's is clearly an advanced method well above the skillset of some of the posters in this thread...

I didn't buy a Ford Explorer to go drag racing, slick. Don't worry, I won't be trying this 'technique' at home. Yeah.. clearly quite advanced.. considering I own two manual vehicles.. and the Explorer is my first automatic vehicle in my ~14 years of driving. Maybe you should be the one considering the Prius, considering your smug remarks to some criticism on your breakthrough technique! Mind = Blown!

So just for s***s and giggles I tried this on my EX and really don't see a difference of speed of shift or any advantage over just pushing the button up unless all your looking for is to constantly have a shaft in your hand while your driving :eek:

To each his own though, just be careful not to make a mess all over your interior. You know if you break something :D

Had to bring this thread back to life. [MENTION=241644]Quicksilver[/MENTION] [MENTION=231028]Harley#356[/MENTION] [MENTION=206545]broken strut[/MENTION] ... I was cracking up read all this. Thank you. I really miss my tiptronic of my G35 coupe. Much better user experience with it on the shifter.

p.s. I still have my driving test from 20 years ago when I got my license. Got a 97%. Only deduction: "Drives with one hand and fingertips". Laid back rolled through that *****. To all that got 100%- you did it wrong :smoke:

Had to bring this thread back to life. [MENTION=241644]Quicksilver[/MENTION] [MENTION=231028]Harley#356[/MENTION] [MENTION=206545]broken strut[/MENTION] ... I was cracking up read all this. Thank you. I really miss my tiptronic of my G35 coupe. Much better user experience with it on the shifter.

p.s. I still have my driving test from 20 years ago when I got my license. Got a 97%. Only deduction: "Drives with one hand and fingertips". Laid back rolled through that *****. To all that got 100%- you did it wrong :smoke:

So can *you* feel the difference in shift crispness when using the shifter under moderate to heavy acceleration instead of paddles or am I the only one:scratch: I may be off the reservation here but I'm certain there is a short power cut like a few milliseconds long using the paddles that doesn't happen using the shifter... I wouldn't expect the average driver to feel it but maybe a fingertip driver can;)

As long as you're wearing clean undies and socks it's O.K.

only times they've let me down is when they go up two gears with a single tap.

That only happens to me when I hit the upshift paddle a split second before It was going to on its own.

If you leave it in M and don't shift, it will shift anyway to keep from causing damage.

Back