i love my EXplorer but.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i love my EXplorer but....

95K miles, and she has had one rear light replaced, one IAC cleaned out, and a brake job at 90K. Yeah she's built really bad...

This thing just keeps on going, and it sees redline once a day. This thing is driven hard, and it loves it. I make sure to change the oil every 4-5,000 miles, and the tires, etc. are kept at good levels. It is just a well-built machine. And btw, 5R55E > A4LD :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Three trannys........

Lousy, I mean LOUST mpg......

Sluggish........

Shifting probs......

Isn't this transmission mostly computer controlled? That's the only variable I can think of that would woof multiple transmissions. Also check Technical Service Bulletins for computer, wire harness, program or solenoid problems.

Are you using 4 x 4 a lot on dry pavement?

TSB's available all over the place.

Quicky place is autozone.com

good luck.

ur right to a point boatbuilder, but i mean.. a three year old truck starting to piece by piece explode all over the place is outrageous
I would hardly say your truck is exploding all over the place. The only thing that is unexcusable is the trans. Hell Im on my 3rd. And it still shifts like garbage. I see a 700r4 or v8 swap when I detonate this tranny.
Isn't this transmission mostly computer controlled? That's the only variable I can think of that would woof multiple transmissions
the v-6 trannies are just anemic. They are just an upgraded old school trans from the 70's. It wasn't designed for the wieght or load these truck put on them. The v8 trans generally hold up well and can be built up when rebuilt.

yeah, i hear you guys on the common problems
complaints. i recently gave up on my explorer, and parked it in my yard (with its blown hubs, leaking slipping 3 month old tranny, broken seats, etc...etc...etc...) and i went out and bought a ranger. It seems that no matter how much i work on my explorer, and no matter how much money i dump into that crap box, it just needs more and more. i know it is 12 years old, and has 140k on it, but ive owned vehicles that were older, with more miles (and a lot cheaper) that were way less problem stricken than my exploder.

It's a money pit...my list of repairs/problem

is too lengthy to list here. I want to drive it (93 XLT 6 cyl), not spend time and money working on it!

The 2002 I have is great, but I'm only going to drive it another year and buy a new one in 2004.

I'd rather have the car note than the maintenance cost and headaches.

Wow, it's not just me.

The one thing I love about my Explorer, though, is that it's paid for. Although it has lot's of little annoying problems, it has never stranded me (uh-oh, shouldn't have said that, it's going to strand me now).

Some things I like about it:

4.0L V6 is a great motor
Work horse attitude
Ice cold air

What I don't:
Hard ride
Thirsty
Uncomfortable
Damn rusty dog legs

But I like not having payments so I'll keep driving it. Thanks to this board and everyone's help I'll be keeping it on the road for years to come.

The A4LD is a revised C3 Transmission. The C3 was designed as a light-duty only transmission and was not intended for heavy use. The C4 or C6 transmissions are what we really want for a truck transmissions, especially the C6. The 4R70W in the V-8 X's is based off the C4.

I still ask that you guys give the 5R55E a chance. Yes, apparently the A4LD is trash, but I rarely, if ever see failures on 5R's, and they are going into the 100K+ mileage range. Really, how far is an automatic transmismission supposed to last?

Oh, and whomever said 700R4...I hope you were joking :D

Oh, and whomever said 700R4...I hope you were joking
Why? There is aftermarket support for them and they are more stout than the 4r55e. And even if it didn't last much longer it would still shift better. All 3 trans I have had in this truck have shifted like ****. Delayed shifts, late shifts, nuetraling between shifts. The v-6 trans just suck. I drive my moms blazer when my truck is in the shop and you can't even tell when it shifts most of the time. And an automatic trans should last AT LEAST as long as the motor. On all the trucks we have ever had we have had to eventually swap in a rebuilt motor. Never had to rebuild a trans until my Explorer.

I dont have a 4.0, I have the 5.0, so I have a 4R70W.. if/when this one stops letting me move, I'll either replace it myself with a built up version.. or preferablly.. be out of this truck by then

I've heard of people having 4R70Ws last for a very long time, but I've never seen any such thing.

the pcm was something that concerned me after I worked with bjherron to try and get a chip, and my XDT2 wouldn't accept an XDT2 chip so I tried an SLL3 pcm.. the tranny wouldn't shift with this pcm, and it took 2200 rpm just to get the wheels turning.. I know the pcm on my truck was reflashed after the truck wouldn't start one morning 2 years ago (hrmm.. EVERYTHING started happening on this truck 2 years ago.. right after the pcm reflash)

my truck hasn't cost me any money really except in trying to find the problem, I imagine it would go on for untold miles w/o leaving me, but its just uncomfortable and rather difficult to drive when you have dump-truck speed and passenger car torque

I still ask that you guys give the 5R55E a chance.
What's so special about the 5r552e? I thought it just locked up the torque converter between the 2-3 shift causing another "gear"?

Let's face it boy, you got yourself a bad apple. Get rid of it and try again!

Originally posted by Majisto

I still ask that you guys give the 5R55E a chance. Yes, apparently the A4LD is trash, but I rarely, if ever see failures on 5R's, and they are going into the 100K+ mileage range. Really, how far is an automatic transmismission supposed to last?

Well, they are showing up at less than 100k for a rebuild, albeit at less rates than the a4ld...

Me - I needed one @ 59k and the trans guy stated it looked like it was a 100k+ towing transmission - toasted/pitted 5th sun/planet gear, TC tas rattling and shot, etc. Ended up needed $900 in parts!

This was a 5r55e that was never used to tow, had it's fluid changed @40k (some @15k when I had the trans gaskets done for no 1st engine braking), and generally led an easy life. Hopefully it will last till 159k (assuming I keep the truck that long),

Seriously, though - a properly designed trans should last well over 100k.

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
What's so special about the 5r552e? I thought it just locked up the torque converter between the 2-3 shift causing another "gear"?

IIRC it doesn't lock the TC, but rather engages 2 and OD (that's what the trans rebuilder told me IIRC) during the 2-3 shift, giving the feel of another ratio. b

im a newbie to the x world but i am having problems with my 2nd A4LD after 193,000 miled is there a bolt up upgraded replacement for this trans? Or do i have to stick with the A4LD

Only other option is a swap to a manual 5 speed, an adapted chevy 700r4, or a 3 speed auto with no overdrive. The most reliable option, and most expensive, is the 700r4 swap. The 5 speed would also be more reliable than the a4ld.

Back