I narrowed down the engine noise on idle.What do you think?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I narrowed down the engine noise on idle.What do you think??

ChaoticBastard

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Ever since I have had this truck.Sometimes on idle I would hear like a woosh,bearing wearing out type sound from the engine compartment.I narrowed it down to directly below the plenum.Or at least below the plastic cover for the plenum.Im really confused.I dont think it is the chains because I can run it all day and I do not get any noises etc.I do have a cold startup noise but I have been told its because the oil I use doesnt get to the top of the engine fast enough.

It sounds almost like a helicopter under the plenum area.Any ideas??:mad:

Ahh what engine do you have the SOHC or OHV? If its the SOHC, I suspect its another timing chain tensioner

Ahh what engine do you have the SOHC or OHV? If its the SOHC, I suspect its another timing chain tensioner

I was out fooling with it now.I noticed its right below the oil fill on the valve cover.I took the cap off with it running and the chatter got a little louder.I thought (im probably wrong) that they only make noise around 2500 rpms.argh.I just got it and its under dealer warranty.I guess these engines are notorious for this.Mine has 84K on it.And yes SOHC.

Back