• Register Today It's free!

I need a new PCM!

93mazdanavajo

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Mazda Navajo
Ok, so long story short I took my car to the shop and they couldn't fix it. I then took it to the dealership (1993 Mazda Navajo LX) and they did a ton of different tests..

So anyways, I need a new PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for it and neither Mazda or Ford make them anymore. The dealership looked around in town and can't find one. All I have to do is find an old Navajo in a junkyard or something identical to mine. (1993 Mazda Navajo LX)

Anyone have any good suggestions/tips on an easy and fast way to find old cars in junkyards, old car parts, etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advance Auto Parts

What is the calibration code on your computer?
Junk yards sell them all day long for $35 here
Before you go buy one you need the calibration code from your current unit.

Ford should be able to get you a remanufactured unit? But they charge over $350 for them = no thanks.

my 93 engine went through 3 PCM's I still have my old one itworks
93 OHV 4.0L, no EGR, A4LD auto trans, 4x4
calibration code is COW1

I just called the dealership and unfortunately the guy said he doesn't have time to go out and look for the code today, but could on Monday.

Look's like I'll be going another three days without my car. :(

There is one in a junk yard in Newton, Iowa I don't know the specifics. But they are about 4 hours away from you. I'm sure the local salvage yards around you should have them too.

thats right automated email until they find your part then you get one that says YES we have it

Tell me about your truck, I am guessing the GUN1 was a Mazda PCM code = there is a Ford PCM code that matches

I need to know:
year: 93
Trans: auto or 5 speed
Does truck have EGR?:

I have a 93 PCM, Automatic, no EGR, COW1, $50+ ship its yours

Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Look at your d side exhaust manifold, does it have a metal tube going to the intake?

Most 93's do not have EGR but some do... my computer does not
I am 98% sure this PCM would work for you
the computer is from:
93 explorer, automatic, NO EGR, calibration code is COW1
Dealer can tell you if COW1 and GUN1 are similar computers

Well, I called the dealership and basically they said that they don't think it would work. He actually said that either way it still has to be reprogrammed to my truck specifically, then again I'm not saying they are right all the time either....

If it was a heck of a deal I would be willing to try it man, but I really can't afford to just be out $50 right now if this doesn't work. Because I'm going to have to turn around and spend $300 something to ship out my PCM to have it fixed.

I do appreciate all the help you've given me so far, any last suggestions? :)

Do you by chance know the ford part number? I'm trying to find a replacement...and it's ridiculously hard to find one without the part number..

***Edit: Alright, they guy at the dealership said that if you could give me the FORD part number off of your PCM then he should be able to find out what the mazda part number is. Then we can see if it matches the one on my car, if so the we have a match (and I would want to buy your PCM.)

Thanks!

hmmmmmmmmm part number is on the sticker on the side of your PCM
I can get the numbers off mine

The computer would not have to be "flashed" to work with your truck

I have been there and done that
my 88 went from a 2.9L 5 speed to a 93 4.0L and 5 speed, then to a 93 4.0L and auto, then to a 5.0L and auto.
I have all my old computers

when my truck was a 93 4.0L auto I went through 3 PCM's one was fried by an exhaust shop (key on when welding) then Ford sold me a refurbished unit, it lasted 60 days before it fried itself...then I went to the junk yard and bought this one for $35
So I have 3ea 93 4.0L PCM's, 1 for a 5 speed truck, 1 for an auto thats fried paperweight, and one good one I yanked when I went V8. this is the COW1 computer, it works great! It will work in a 93 Explorer automatic without EGR, no flash needed!

I understand though, I dont think you need to pay more then $100 for a new computer, there are thousands out there!

Your dealer (or a better one) can pull up all the possible computer part numbers and available (cross reference) calibration codes for your truck! I know because I had my buddy Matt at my local Ford dealer do it for me years ago!! He printed out a list of calibration codes for my trucks computer... then I went to the u pull it junk yard, looked through about 200 Ford PCM's unitl I found another COW1, it was $35....

I have also found them at Advance Auto parts, call them up! they have used parts on the shelf and can find your computer based on year, engine, trans, etc

See the problem is, because Ford doesn't make the part anymore the guys at the dealership can't look up the part number. They can pull up the part number for Mazda...just because it's a Mazda dealership.

If you could figure out what the part number is on the working PCM you have is, that would be awesome. Because if it works then I'm 100% sure I'll buy it...I'll mention looking up those part number's when I call them back.

So is looking up the part number something you can do? I would really appreciate it!

I will get the computer in front of me and post all the numbers on the sticker for you

Your 93 is: automatic?
Does it have EGR?

if you can answer that I can tell you if this PCM will work in your truck, that is if you trust my expertise :) LOL
I know the exact differences between 91-92 trucks and 93 and 94 trucks, then of course 95 trucks and 96+ trucks....I can list the changes off the top of my head!
93 is the best year of the 91-94 IMO :)

93 have no EGR (90% of them)and they have dual 02 sensors, no knock sensor, and no cam position sensor....making them the most simple 4.0L OHV computer of all years IMO

Yes, my car is automatic. I believe my truck does not have EGR...

Does this truck have EGR? (This is just a random '94 picture, not my truck.)
23113850010_large.jpg

Because my engine looks a lot like this one.

94 has EGR yes, but the EGR is on the drivers side exhaust manifold, not the passenger side :)
I know 94 has EGR for sure all of them do

93 early year = no EGR, no cam position sensor
93.5+ = yes EGR and yes cam sensor
California sold 93's = EGR and cam sensor

My truck is either:

A) A 1992 bought in 1993.

or

B) A 1993 bought in 1994.

I will have to give my grandpa a call, because he sold to me after buying it new.

I will keep you posted, thanks for all your help!

P.S. If I could get that part number that would be awesome too! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back