I need help doing the torsion twist. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help doing the torsion twist.

nahum

Reaction score
City, State
rockville
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xls ohv
With TT. Are u supposed to tighten the bolt or loosen to get a lift? I want to get bigger tires like maybe. 32x11.50 but i Don't want to cut away anything because I don't know how. Can someone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to tighten the bolts to get lift, but i doubt you are going to fit those tires without rubbing. Depends how much lift you get, every truck is different. Its easier if you jack the truck up a bit so all of the weight is not on the torsion bars when you try to tighten the bolts.

I just jacked the front of my truck off the ground used jack stands and tighten the torsion bar bolts to get the lift you will need to cut some i had to for 31's. the cutting isn't really hard once the tires are on its obvious what to cut and how much to cut depends if i have a chance i will take pics and post em of what i cut i didn't cut much you may need to cut more then I did.

oh! ok great the pix should help me. what should i be using to cut the plastic bumper?

You need to tighten the bolts to get lift, but i doubt you are going to fit those tires without rubbing. Depends how much lift you get, every truck is different. Its easier if you jack the truck up a bit so all of the weight is not on the torsion bars when you try to tighten the bolts.

hey we are practicaly neighbors. if i have to cut then it will be done once i know how. lol

hey sorry i've been busy with work and buying/cleaning/moving into a new house. i will try to take pics tomorrow at work.

That would be great j train. Congratulations with the new house!

IMAG0198.jpg

its a little hard to see what i cut. but if you have the same rocker molding as i do or the molded running boards you can guess how much i cut off... you cant really tell i cut any off.

ok heres a crappy pic of what i cut off... works fine with Mastercarft's 31x10.5R15 which seem to measure out slightly over 30 and 3/8 inches new.
cutoff-1.png

i still slightly rub when running through ruts or flexing a little with the wheel turned just right but nothing bad enough to worry about.

Back