I need help fixing my Ranger's power window, please take a look | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help fixing my Ranger's power window, please take a look

Well, I'll pull the motor again and look closer at the gear, but I don't think it's bad. With the motor out but plugged in, I held the gear with pliers and pushed the window button, that motor has some torque!
It's getting real old driving around in 80+ degree weather and having my window up. I guess I need to drill out and remove the reg.
I just don't want to get in a spot where the reg is out and the window is down and I can't fix it, cuz it rains every day here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Tony, I'll keep that in mind.
Today I pulled the motor again, opened it up and checked the gear and spacers again, it all looks and tests great.
I had the bright idea of sticking my camera in there to take some inside view shots.
Pic 1. The teeth where the motor sits look fine. I thought maybe they would be stripped. The white plastic shows where 2 of the 3 motor bolts go.
Pic 2. A view from the other end of the teeth. You can sort of see the white plastic piece at the other end.

So if I drill out the rivets holding the regulator in, how much trouble can I get into as far as aligning it back up, whether intalling a new one or the old one? Am I correct in thinking the window will not be held up with the reg removed?

Attachments

• 112911 003.jpg
    112911 003.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 112911 001.jpg
    112911 001.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 183

Thanks Tony, I'll keep that in mind.
Today I pulled the motor again, opened it up and checked the gear and spacers again, it all looks and tests great.
I had the bright idea of sticking my camera in there to take some inside view shots.
Pic 1. The teeth where the motor sits look fine. I thought maybe they would be stripped. The white plastic shows where 2 of the 3 motor bolts go.
Pic 2. A view from the other end of the teeth. You can sort of see the white plastic piece at the other end.

So if I drill out the rivets holding the regulator in, how much trouble can I get into as far as aligning it back up, whether intalling a new one or the old one? Am I correct in thinking the window will not be held up with the reg removed?

You should be able to drill the rivits out that hold the regulator to the door, and bolt it back into place using some small bolts.

Got the window working!
I took the truck to a great local mechanic I found. It was the regulator after all, the scissors joint was loose with some play, and there was a few worn teeth that I did not see with my spy shots.
He made it work with all existing parts, for $50. Well worth it to me to have a open window here!

Tony, I'll be getting a new reg from you maybe next month, cuz I know this fix won't last forever.

..That's awesome news...:D

..Does that triangle piece work as a wear item guide of sorts?

Glad to hear you got it fixed Bill:thumbsup:

..Does that triangle piece work as a wear item guide of sorts?

No, just as a shim or spacer, between the motor and a non-moving part of the regulator.

Back