i need help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need help please

ok, I was looking to buy new tire because i am goin to put 18"s on my explorer because it's a 95' and i cant lift it, so i was lookin around for tires and i relized i dont know what the hell im lokin for. i see all these numbers and i dont kno9w what they are. Will some one please help me. OK, my stock tires, are 235/75 R15. Now i know the R15 mean the rims are 15 inch's but what does the 235 and the 75 mean? Im totally lost. And if anyone has pictures of there explorers with 18's please show me them and if anyone has advise on what type of tires or brand of tires and rims i should get, please feel free to suggest anything. Thanx a bunch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 235 is the width (maybe cm.), the 75 means the sidewall height is 75% of the width. if i'm wrong, someone correct me, but i think this is an accurate description.

you can calculate tire sizes at different websites, i cant remember them right now, i'll post them later.

you can use the wheel wizard at www.explorerunderground.com
if you put 18" wheels and want the same height with tires 285/50/18 are just about the same size as 235/75/15. but 2" wider.

Explanation...

OK, here goes the full explanation. Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Tires are classified by size. Stock you said was 235/75 R15. The 235 is the width of the tire in milimeters. Divide by 25.4 and you'll get the width in inches, in this case 9.25 inches. The 75 refers to the height of the sidewall as a percent of the tire's width. So if the tire is 235mm wide, then the sidewall is 235mm x 0.75. That would be 176.25mm. In inches that would be 176.25/25.4 or 6.94 inches.

Now, to find out what tires will fit, you need to find out the diameter of the tire. For any tire it will be twice the sidewall plus the rim size. So for the stock Explorer tires, it's (6.94 x 2) + 15. That would equal 28.9 inches. Any tire/rim combo you get should preferrablybe plus or minus 0.2 inches from the stock size, or your speedo will be out of whack. For the Explorer that would be 28.7 to 29.1 inches.

To figure out what size you can use for an 18" rim, just work backwards. Take the diameter (28.9) and subtract the rim size (18). That leaves 10.9 inches. The 10.9 is the size of both sidewalls together, so divide by two. That gives a sidewall height of 5.45 inches. Now just check and see what size 18" tire will give a 5.45" sidewall. Let's use leejen's example of 285/50 18.

Tire width of 285mm times 0.5 is 142.5mm. In inches that is 5.6 inches. Should be close enough. Add it all up and you get a diameter of 29.2, which should still be OK.

Sorry this reply is so long. As leenjen said, just go use the wheel wizard. But at least now you know what the numbers mean. Oh, by the way, when speaking of tires/wheels, any combo that is approximately the same diameter as stock, but has a rim one inch larger, it's called +1. If the rim is two inches larger with same overall diameter, it's +2. I think you get the idea.

Any other questions you have feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

If there's a Les Schwab in your area that's who you should go talk to. Everytime I need some advise on what tires/rim they are there to help. They also help you compare prices.

So far i've bought 3 sets of rims and tires from there..

I've had an acount there for 5 years now, but I don't wanna know how much money i've spent so far.

I have 18s with 255/55/18 tires on em. Pretty close to stock total diameter. No problems whatsoever. You can see a pic or two on my website in my sig.

sideswipe, do you have any pictures from the back that show your altezzas? nice rims!

thank you very much for the help. I have a couple more questions. If i want to put 18's on my X, who make s the best tire to fit 18 inch rims. I am very partial to michellins, but any suggestion is appreciated. And, i hate when people have big rims with tires that look too small, you know what i mean. I want a tire that is a little bigger then stock but not too big. Any suggestions. Also what are some good wheel brands, and how much would the 18 inch chrome wheels cost? Thanx

sideswipe updated his page leenjen go check it out now! ;-0

leenjen-

thanks for the compliment. Check this pic:

car3.jpg

undertow-

My best tires are in this order

1. Pirelli
2. Falken
3. Michelin/Toyo

there are just too many wheel brands to list, just find some wheels you like and make sure they fit and have a lifetime warranty on the worksmanship.

what makes Pirelli better then michellin? Just wonderin your opinion on the two tires. Thanx

altezzas

Hey sideswipe---- I have thos same altezzas. Got them like a month ago and they started leaking like the 2 weeks I got them. Both of them leak equelly when it raines or when I go through a car wash...I sent them back the other day and the company is supost to send me a new set....have you have any leaks with yours?
Thanks, Grant-P

Originally posted by undertow999
what makes Pirelli better then michellin? Just wonderin your opinion on the two tires. Thanx

I had the Michelin Pilots and have the Pirellis now. The wet traction and handling is noticably better.

Re: altezzas

Originally posted by Fantasymon
Hey sideswipe---- I have thos same altezzas. Got them like a month ago and they started leaking like the 2 weeks I got them. Both of them leak equelly when it raines or when I go through a car wash...I sent them back the other day and the company is supost to send me a new set....have you have any leaks with yours?
Thanks, Grant-P

This is my 2nd set of altezzas. The 1st set I got off ebay did leak and I had to trash them. This set does not leak and ive had no problems whatsoever. The difference you might ask? The set I have currently seems to be the 2nd revision of altezzas for the explorer, there is a sticker with a date on it and my new set says 2001 as opposed to the old ones saying 2000. Hope this helps.

Ok, I went and looked up the Pirelli Scorpion Zero size 285/50VR18. Now will these tires fit on my X. I dont want the tires to stick out from the side of the car. Will they stay within the wheel wells. I just hate the look of tires that are too wide, my opinion. But would these tires fit, or are they too wide. Thanx for any information.

altizzas

Interesting Sideswipe... I also bought mine off of Ebay. Did you purchase the first ones from PacificIE.com? Just wondering. Well hopefully these new ones they send me will be the 2001 set.
Do they both look the same??

Thanks for the info,

Grant-P

Ok, I went and looked up the Pirelli Scorpion Zero size 285/50VR18. Now will these tires fit on my X. I dont want the tires to stick out from the side of the car. Will they stay within the wheel wells. I just hate the look of tires that are too wide, my opinion. But would these tires fit, or are they too wide. Thanx for any information.

Go with the 255/55/18 you cant go wrong with that. The tire you selected maybe too wide and require spacers, and it may also throw the speedo off too much.

Re: altizzas

Originally posted by Fantasymon
Interesting Sideswipe... I also bought mine off of Ebay. Did you purchase the first ones from PacificIE.com? Just wondering. Well hopefully these new ones they send me will be the 2001 set.
Do they both look the same??

Thanks for the info,

Grant-P

I got them from procarparts (which may in fact be pacificie under another name) on ebay. They both look identical. Good luck!

What do spacers do? And i dont really care bout the spedometer i can have thAT FIXED, BUT i dont want the tires to stick out from the side of my explorer. Thanx for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do spacers do? And i dont really care bout the spedometer i can have thAT FIXED, BUT i dont want the tires to stick out from the side of my explorer. Thanx for any info.

Spacer push the wheel out a certain amount in case the wheels you select rub against the calipers. They are generally not recommend because they put undue pressure on the wheel lugs and bearings.

Back