I need help replacing the steering knuckle on a 98 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help replacing the steering knuckle on a 98 Explorer.

shell27

Reaction score
City, State
kamloops british columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
i recently snapped my steering knuckle right where the tie rod end connects to it and i need to replace the knuckle, the tie rod ans the tie rod end. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you
i have all the parts now
but i need to know how to replace the knuckle

Pickup a Haynes or a Chiltons repair manual - its worth the twenty or so dollars.

But basically, remove:
- caliper
- rotor
- hub
- axle shaft

and then knock off the knuckle from the lower and upper A-arms.

Ditto... If you're working with hand tools, be sure and remove the spindle nut with the wheel still on. That bugger's on there tight (around 200 ft*lbs IIRC). Then remove the wheel, spindle nut, brakes, break loose the hub bolts (three bolts on the back side of the knuckle that holds the hub in place), and separate it from the two ball joints.

Now that I think about it, if you're swapping the hub assembly over, does he even need to remove the spindle nut? Seems one might be able to leave the hub on the spindle, remove the three bolts, and simply push the hub out the back of the old knuckle. Might take an extra pair of hands (or three) to get it into the new one, but shouldn't be impossible...

Check the sticky tutorials for replacing lower ball joints and front end rebuid. Lots of good pics there.

Ditto... If you're working with hand tools, be sure and remove the spindle nut with the wheel still on. That bugger's on there tight (around 200 ft*lbs IIRC). Then remove the wheel, spindle nut, brakes, break loose the hub bolts (three bolts on the back side of the knuckle that holds the hub in place), and separate it from the two ball joints.

Now that I think about it, if you're swapping the hub assembly over, does he even need to remove the spindle nut?

If he wants to remove or replace the CV with the hub and steering knuckle, sure. The spindle nut holds the CV in place in the hub, which is bolted to the knuckle. Its certainly feasible if your gonna replace everything anyway, it might even save a few minutes of disassembly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT!!! Now that I really wrap my dopey brain around this, No its not . Unbolt the hub assembly from the knuckle and slip the knuckle off the hub/CV.

Back