• Register Today It's free!

I need massive help!!!

DragonPrince

Reaction score
City, State
Cullman, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Oh... thank GOD!!!!I have found heaven. This is the only place I have found thatcan help me. First off let me ess-plinate me sitchiation. I recently KILLED my car. Totally blew that bad-boy up! This was not my first or second but my FOURTH wreck. So I called my roommate up (Shay) and told her she needed to come and visit me...(on he side of the road) You culd say we are "two peas in a pod." Like brother and sister... and we are the BIGGEST most energetic peoples you can imagine. I suppose you couldsay we are social butterflyies. She called EVERYBODY in a tri-state area that I had yet another wreck. So on the way home we stopped at a dealership where my cousin worked and pick up "FRO" my new used car. Its a 1991 Explorer XLT 4 door 2WD with 86,000 miles. It had afresh paint job and brand spanking new tires on it. the previous owner was a old man who said he hadn't taken it anywhere but to work and back 9 years strainght. I new te mechanic in the shop and asked him to verifythat it was in good shape. $245 on tests and high grade sythetic oil later, new spark plugs and air liter later, he said he said it was in tip top shape. Shay and I went home and took it out to show everybody. It ran like gold. No problems. Went home and watched a movie and afterwards (3 a.m.) we wanted to go shopping. We started me car and al hell broke loose!!! The car started and jumped way up to 3000 rpms and idled at 2000-2500. We lifted the hood and the motor mut have had an identitycrisis an thoght it was a vibrator or something cuz it was shaking very violently (not really, just seemed like it was shaking pretty hard) Then Shay noticd this cloud as big as the car of grey-white smoke. So we drove it to the Mall and everytime I pressed the gas the most embarassing thing could happen. More and more smoke, like a fog or something. I have tlked to a bazillion people and I got 456 different answers. I know squat about motors, and for this reason mechanics like to take avantage of me. I am often refered to as the "dumb rich kid" or the "easy sale." Everyone says that I need to have it overhauled, but I got quoted at $1800-2300 for and overhaul and Shay pointed out that a brand new one would cost 2500 to 2800. So I don't know whether or not to get it overhauled or just get a new motor. Oh by the way I live in Alabama so its not cold weather or heat or anything. So if anyone knows what to do please respond!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Since you're new here, I'm gonna ask that you not insult old people in the manner in which you did. You might get lucky enough to be that old one day. Your post has been edited, and I would appreciate your cooperation in the future. - yob_yeknom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The white smoke could be from it overheating, does the temp gauge work, and if so what did it say? It could need a new thermostat...

Yeah, it works fine and its is in the normal range. It used so much oil though. I jave put 225 miles on andI has used 7 quarts of oil!

synth fluids are not good to use in a high millage car cause if it had used reg oil before the synth is thiner and will go pass seals and all.... synth is not good for a car with high miles.... definatly if it had used reg oil most of its life

Hey Dragon Prince, it is as bad as it looks. I think the head gasket may be blown. I don't know who quoted you a price, but I got mine rebuilt down here in Bham for about 2k. You can get it done cheaper, but the place I took it to is known for quality work. Edgewood Auto in Homewood. By the way, do you know Rusty and Misty Walker? Walker Supply? Talk to you soon.

My eyes are still spinning :confused: from that really long paragraph.
It sounds like the head is blown, and is burning the oil.

Is it just me or am I the only one on the face of the earth who DOESN't drive the car when something is SERIOUSLY wrong? If your car is overheating, smoking like crazy, or had no brakes, ect don't drive the damn thing. If you have a heat gasket blown and continue to drive it you're just going to ruin the rest of the engine. when all goes wrong stay home.

If you are truly interested in the art of self repair...well good for you and let us know. We are here to help!!

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Where's everybody getting the smilies from? Do you have to use the website address? You know, our forum is really great, but I think it'd be even better with some more smilies. You get on some forums and they've got like 100 different smilie choices, those are cool. Of course, there are also the forums with like 5, so we're better off than them. I don't know. It's late. I'm rambling. I'll shut up now.

Dead Link Removed I get all of mine from various forums which i am a member of. You can also do a search for plauder smilies i think on google and that website is full of them

Bashing, insulting, etc. is not acceptable on this board. You guys with deleted posts (you know who you are) have been around plenty long enough to know that.

Ther should be a law in your state similiar to a lemon law. Bring that X back to the place where you bought it from.
Im pretty sure you have a certain period to get your money back...
Arent those years know for cracked engine blocks???

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
Dead Link Removed I get all of mine from various forums which i am a member of. You can also do a search for plauder smilies i think on google and that website is full of them

Cool, thanks. I found the Plauder Smililes page. But once you're at the page, how do you use them and put them into posts?

Back