If your messing with the radiator anyways... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If your messing with the radiator anyways...

doonze

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X Sport
And still have these blasted things that came stock on our trucks....

P1060539.jpg

Do yourself a favor and just replace them while your at it. I just had to remove all of mine when I replaced my radiator, and 2 or the three leaked no mater what I did once I put it all back together. Ended up having to drain the system and remove the belt to get the one off the lower at the water pump. Well, to tell the truth, removing the belt didn't help, I had to drain the system and remove the hose from the water pump to get the blasted thing OFF, so I could put a worm gear type one in...

So yeah, I had to replace all 3 of these today (1 didn't leak, but replaced it anyway), and now I have no leaks...finally!

Just wanted to share.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dislike those things almost as much as flat-head screws... :D

I re-clamped all of mine with wormers as well.

I had the (single) tab break off on a lower radiator hose clamp. Those spring clamps are a bear to get off with nothing to grip. I had to cut the clamp in two places with a dremel tool to get the thing off.

And still have these blasted things that came stock on our trucks....

P1060539.jpg

Do yourself a favor and just replace them while your at it.

Oh yeah, I know those things. I hate them with a passion. We may think we had it bad with them on our trucks, Ever change a heater core in a Beretta? They have got those on the heater core hoses behind the motor going into the firewall :( PITA

I still have to change mine. Still not flushed my radiator either. I'll do that this coming week because I'm sure my father has a bunch in a five gallon bucket somewhere in the garage. If not I'll buy new ones. :)

Those clamps are made to be used once. They are absolute crap, and should never be reused, unless you want a leak.

Seriously, hose clamps are CHEAP... those stupid spring things suck ba11s. If I gotta move one for any reason, it hits the trash. I have a big box of hose clamps just sitting on the shelf for such an occasion...

Oh yeah, I know those things. I hate them with a passion. We may think we had it bad with them on our trucks, Ever change a heater core in a Beretta? They have got those on the heater core hoses behind the motor going into the firewall :( PITA

I still have to change mine. Still not flushed my radiator either. I'll do that this coming week because I'm sure my father has a bunch in a five gallon bucket somewhere in the garage. If not I'll buy new ones. :)
HA! Beretta! I had an 89 GT, SUCKED!!!!! I was kind of relieved when I siezed the motor on the highway. The walk home was worth it to be rid of the heap!
They do make a nice tool to remove those spring-clamps in tight spaces. A little pricey, but well woth the investment

Back