I need new shocks and brake pads, what should I get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need new shocks and brake pads, what should I get?

Crispy Niggets

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Bluff, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a 1995 XLT 4X4 Auto
Michelen lt 235 75 r15

(instead of getting the edelbrock shocks I got the sway bars)
I need inexpensive shocks

the reason forw ne brake pads was that bracking feels hard, is this normal? it also slips a bit after being washed The front left rotor is grooved slitly towards the inside all others are smooth

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a pretty vague question. What kind of money are you looking to spend? You can get pads anywhere from $10 to $70 or 80. Shocks can run anywhere from $20 over $100 also. What are you looking to gain from these parts, or do you just want OEM quality?

Crispy Niggets said:
I have a 1995 XLT 4X4 Auto
Michelen lt 235 75 r15

Wagner Brakes & Monroe Shocks IMHO :D

Rancho 9000 shocks.

I agree with the post that stated that this question is a little vague. You have to take stock of what you bought your vehicle for. Are you off roading?..or is this a family car for the wife to share. Do you do any towing? You plan modifications? Generally speaking, monroe shocks and the brakes aren't gonna really vary enough to concern yourself with. Performance Shocks could go from $40-$120.00. I personally like the value that the Ranchos offer but the Rancho9000's would probably be overkill if your not off roading. Go with the Rancho 5000's. Great value and performance ride. Shouldn't cost more than $40.00-50.00's

cdwright said:
I agree with the post that stated that this question is a little vague. You have to take stock of what you bought your vehicle for. Are you off roading?..or is this a family car for the wife to share. Do you do any towing? You plan modifications? Generally speaking, monroe shocks and the brakes aren't gonna really vary enough to concern yourself with. Performance Shocks could go from $40-$120.00. I personally like the value that the Ranchos offer but the Rancho9000's would probably be overkill if your not off roading. Go with the Rancho 5000's. Great value and performance ride. Shouldn't cost more than $40.00-50.00's

Well I just baught sway bars verses better shocks so im looking for something inexpensize. Im sixteen and dont go off roading Im primaraly in highway traffic.

ford OEM pads are very, very dusty.
Dont get them

Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, should be around $30 apiece. And Wagner/Raybestos brake pads, should be $45 for the front set and $45 for the back set. Make sure to get your rotors turned or replaced while you're doing the brakes.

Crispy Niggets said:
Well I just baught sway bars verses better shocks so im looking for something inexpensize. Im sixteen and dont go off roading Im primaraly in highway traffic.

Sway bars ain't a bad move...don't go too cheap on the shocks though or you will be buying more sooner than you'd like...and pay in the long run anyway. I would just do one set at a time since money is a factor. Maybe the rear shocks first? $40.00 will be worth the money...you could get down and dirty and get cheaper shocks aroung $15.00 to $ 25.00's. Again, I haven't found any I like but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere so you may have some homework there....but remember, those shocks will help with your gas mileage too.

cdwright , what type of Shock have U used and Do U recomend?? 96 2WD I Like the Eldebrock, Rancho and Monroe.. But have ONLY really used the Monroe! If U like these or Something Else, PLEASE tell me your experience's!! Thank You!!

Well I went to advance and bought monroe sensatracks for $40 a piece, and I asked my dad to look at the brakes and he said they were fine. still though are they supposed to feel hard?

Kevin Kuiper said:
cdwright , what type of Shock have U used and Do U recomend?? 96 2WD I Like the Eldebrock, Rancho and Monroe.. But have ONLY really used the Monroe! If U like these or Something Else, PLEASE tell me your experience's!! Thank You!!

Sorry, I 'm responding to this late. Getting over the flu...but I have used quite a few and speaking generally I would go with the Ranchos. A lot of things about shocks are so personal and depends on what type of driving your doing.

Some people actually like that stiff shock feeling for example. Edlebrocks are very good too. They are kind of costly but are very good. Monroe is a safe bet for a guy like myself. I wasn't disappointed but wasn't overly impressed either. I think the Ranchos were the best because they really are designed for trucks that should ride smoother.IMHO....I felt they weren't too expensive and they gave me a very smooth ride. Close call between them and the Edlebrocks. I'm not a guy that wants much more than a smooth ride on the highway...or as close to the comfort of a car with good shocks as possible although that is expecting a lot...LOL..

Back