I need some advice for my exhaust please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some advice for my exhaust please

Lacky01

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
98 Sport 2WD OHV

since I bought the truck back in 06 its had a crappy broken glasspack muffler and I really hate it. I liked it at first but now I really want a quiet exhaust. I had to replace the cats a couple years back and I had a shop put in a magnaflow "high flow" cat on 2.25" pipe from the stock Y to the middle flange. from that flange all the way back is 2" pipe and I have no idea if its the stock pipe or not. it doesn't have a resonator and terminates before the bumper underneath the truck. if I smack the glasspack I can hear the insides rattling around.

I went to the pickapart and they wanted $75 for stock exhaust from the cat back. if the stock part is 2.25" pipe then I would like to go this route. if the stock setup is 2" then I'll just cut out the glasspack and add in a muffler and resonator.

so I guess my question is what is the stock pipe diameter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-53005/overview/

I forgot to add that my cat is bad again and I'm just gonna weld in a replacement myself. I was unhappy with the shops installation, I can and will do just as crappy and not pay extra for it. ./notthebestwelderbutimanage

awesome! then i think I'll stop by the pick a part and see if I can nab a stock muffler for super cheap or stop by some auto shops and see if they have one kicking around. if I keep this on a tight budget I can afford to get my truck all fixed up and maybe buy some parts for the stang :chug:

oh will I need a resonator?

I'm gonna add a tip so the exhaust actually exits out from under the truck and turns down. I want it to be as quiet as stock, if not more quiet. I was thinking about buying an aftermarket muffler for more performance, but I really don't want more noise. so I think I'll just stick to stock unless someone has a suggestion. I hope to get it done as soon as I can, the cat has been throwing a code for a few weeks now

THIS is the tip I'm gonna get

Sweet! Just pulled the exhaust from a 96 Ex. I also pulled a shifter for my transfer case! I wasn't expecting to find that at all! I got the exhaust and shifter for $40, I'm feeling pretty good about that.
I'll order a resonator to add to it, so long as theres a spot where it fits. I'd like to get the turndown tip to extend the tip out from under the truck. I think I'll be able to keep this real quiet for as cheap as possible.

why not see if u can nab a stock cat from jy as well? prob a lot cheaper.

(btw not to highjack but my cat rusted out and i was curious if 2nd gen would fit my 91.. no 1st gens in my local yard..)

why not see if u can nab a stock cat from jy as well? prob a lot cheaper.

(btw not to highjack but my cat rusted out and i was curious if 2nd gen would fit my 91.. no 1st gens in my local yard..)

They don't sell the cats at junkyards, I think its against EPA regulations or some crap like that. I would love to just nab a used one but $65 isn't a bad price for a brand new one. The only reason my other one failed so soon was I drove it for a while with a lean condition. Oops

Back