I need to know | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need to know

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsboro , WV
I have a 1985 Ranger 4X4 , 2.8 V6 with automatic transmission . I want to buy a complete parts vehicle to get everything I need to convert over to a manual transmission . I will need the pedal assembly along with trans. & other parts . I need to know what year Rangers , Bronco 11's , ect. will work . Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction to find out ? It would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance if you can help .
Also I have read the 1984 models had a 4 speed manual trans. & 1985 & newer had the 5 speed manual trans. , is the 4 speed a bolt in swap with the 5 speed ? I will post this in other forums on this website to get as much exposure as possible . One more question , will transmissions out of 4 cylinder vehicles work with the 2.8 V6 ? Thanks again .

If you're keeping your 2.8L, you'll need a 2.8, 2.9 or 4.0L donor vehicle if the transmission is to fit your engine.

'83-'88 should all be the same under the dash, I don't know if things changed enough in '89 for the pedal assy to no longer fit or not though (safe to just stick with '83-'88 vehicles)

Back