i promised i searched before asked! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i promised i searched before asked!

PTBishop

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
ok here's what i have...

91 Explorer mileage: 164356 give or take

Plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and i did a motorvac at work (really good way to clean the injectors if you do not know) i also have 31" BFG A/T's

here is my question...why would i get 10 MPG...

a couple techs at work say the exhaust is killing my gas mileage, i agree it affects it but when i first put the 31s on it it would get around 230 miles to a quarter tank from full, now it is around 150 to 160 to quarter tank from full.

I honestly do not think my head gaskets are an issue, considering it runs fine, and uses no coolant or oil....

also i have remote start, but it doesnt idle for more than 10 minutes in the morning with that....

any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What gears ya got? If it changed right after you put the tires on...that'd be your best bet ;)

Is it auto or stick?

If it's a stick the clutch could be slipping. If it's an auto your torque converter might not be locking up.

new front pump bushing with new torque converter, and also it has stock gears for a 91...im not sure what it has. it changed about 7 months after putting the tires on...thats why im not condemning them

is ur gauge reading correctly ??? how are u fig mileage

sure u dont have a leak some were ??

Clean the MAS and reset the computer. Don't forget we have winter belnd gas in WA. That'll kill about 2mpg.

Tire pressure
Alignment
Lead foot
Lift

These all affect mpg. Those 31's don't help if your mostly town driving.

1st...i reset the trip then divide the number of miles driven by how many gallons i put in, and im sure there is no leak

2nd.....i was thinking of cleaning the mas, so i will try that and see what happens. i know my alignment is right on, tires always kept at 35 PSI and i drive this thing like a grandpa....oh and no lift

3rd i did not recalibrate my speedo, i actually got on the free way next to my dads mustang, him going 60 my speedo shows 60....not the best way to tell but thats how we do it haha...

thank you all for your replys, this really helps me...

Comparing my Odo with dash mount GPS, I'm off 10% with my 31's.

Disconnet the battery, clean the MAS (MAF to some). Reassemble and reconnect the battery. drive around for at least 15 minutes

Go to the nearest automotive paint store an buy a pint of the best acetone. Mix in some acetone at a ration of 2oz to 10gal until the pint is gone.;)

might sound dumb but...did you check the air filter?

yeah, the air filter is new

Acetone in the gas? Wow, that's new (to me).

Is this about the same as using Sea Foam?

Mike

it micght be the ethenol the fuel companies are using it happend to my friends chevy.

Back