Engine stall once gas gauge dips below quarter tank? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine stall once gas gauge dips below quarter tank?

coolhandguenz61

Reaction score
City, State
northern california
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Explorer XLT v6 OHV
Hello again I have a 00' xlt that has been giving me trouble once i get to a quarter tank of gas. about 3 months ago i had the fuel pump, spark plugs, and fuel filter replaced because i was running lean and the car wouldnt start. I also cleaned the MAF, IAC valve, and crankshaft position sensor. Now I am getting about 230-240 miles up until I reach a quarter tank. Once I dip below when coming to a stop the engine shudders and feels like its going to die (and sometimes does) almost exactly the same feeling as if i were running out of gas (i know the feeling :D) so now everytime i hit a quarter i fill it back up and everything is fine, but when i fill it up its between 15-17 gallons without fail. what is happening with the remaining 4-6 gallons of gas i have left? is my fuel pump weak or has it something to do with the fuel lines or pressure regulator? thank you in advance for your help.

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have water in tank. Lots of it. Water stays on bottom of gasoline.

And the fuel pump pulls from the bottom, therefore it would pull the water before the gas even if the tank was full.

Water is not the issue here.

I suspect the fuel pump pickup is not seated on the bottom of the tank correctly.

Many Explorers are like yours, they come from the factory that way. Ford knows about this, there is a TSB for this somewhere.

Possibly vapor lock? Combined with a weak fuel pump or plugged filter it might do that. Next time it does it crack open the fuel cap and see if it fixes it.

Back