I want it to sound like the new gto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want it to sound like the new gto

PrimoCustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I want my 4.0 to sound like the stock GTO. Ovbiously its an 8 cyl, mines a 6cyl, But i want to make it sound as close as possible. I like that is not loud but you can definatley hear it. any sugestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not gonna happen, not even close.

Buy a GTO!

There is no way you'll ever get a SOHC V6 to sound like that pushrod small block V8. I am a diehard ford guy but I give GM props for keeping the pushrod smallblock alive and well. Not to mention they are squeezing 28mpg out of that new LS6/7

trust me, Ive always wanted the same thing and ive always been told you cant make a v6 a v8 which I believe. Personally I want to get true dual Super flowmaster 40 series mufflers...

The IMCO single chamber mufflers are actually a little louder and throaty sounding than the Flows. I just put one on my 5.4l Triton and it sounds damn good, but people on the f150 boards have put them on their rangers and other smaller engine vehicles, and have been very impressed. Half the cost too. ;)

$35 shipped right now. ;)
http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=382

You may get it to sound throaty at idle RPM's but once you start rapping the engine out, its gonna sound like a 6 banger...sorry :(

Drop in the 6.0L?

so what can i do to get an exhaust to be quiet but also noticable...?not toooo loud and not quiet either...ya know what i mean?

A nice rumble without being too loud? There are lots of things that make up a great sounding exhaust, the first place to start is the muffler.

removing all the factory restrictions and mufflers (even on the intake side) is the only way to go.

Flowmaster is known for their nice rumble and sound, though you can get alot of cheaper mufflers that will do the same.

the ONLY way to get V8 sound is with a V8.
I think the Ford 5.0L has the best sounding exhaust ever! (Cobra Mustang style, the old fox bodies with full stainless = sound AWESOME)

this is a funny thread

PrimoCustoms said:
I want my 4.0 to sound like the stock GTO. Ovbiously its an 8 cyl, mines a 6cyl, But i want to make it sound as close as possible. I like that is not loud but you can definatley hear it. any sugestions?
It can be done (to a point)
The ricers in my town are some of the inovative guys around, they come up with some really off the wall stuff.
One of the best is bleach injectors, they run tubing from the windshield washer tank to spray bleach on the tires, these little ricer engines can then smoke the tires like dragsters, is reallt quite funny to see.
So you want the rumble of a V8? simple old tape deck routed into two huge speakers mounted in the floor of the trunk, cut out openings, tape recording of a real V8 with open exhaust, the trick is to get all syncronized to the race situation at hand, or just turn on the rumble at the stoplight, these guys are nutso :D But they always find a way :confused:

These IMCO mufflers, how do they compare to 2 chamber flow masters? 35$ is really damn cheap

haha, the first thing that came to mind was mitsubishi GTO until i figured out what you were talking about

i dont mean to come off sounding like a ricer....i know ill never sound like a GTO but i like how their exhaust is kinda quiet while driving, but at WOT its loud...but not that loud...i just want that combination for my truck....With my experience with flowmaster, its real loud, like, wake everyone up loud, even when parked. Also the cabin noise is unreal....so im not sure i want to go that way....

how is the cabin noise on these 1 chamber imco mufflers?

PrimoCustoms said:
i dont mean to come off sounding like a ricer....i know ill never sound like a GTO but i like how their exhaust is kinda quiet while driving, but at WOT its loud...but not that loud...i just want that combination for my truck....With my experience with flowmaster, its real loud, like, wake everyone up loud, even when parked. Also the cabin noise is unreal....so im not sure i want to go that way....

if thats what our after go with a gibson style single exhuast, or a flowmaster 3 chamber or even a dynomax super turbo,

or if your brave you could keep the stock muffler and take out the cats that should be quiet at idle and loud at WOT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wired_af said:
What about the 4.0 OHV? Does that one sound much different then the SOHC in the mid to higher RPMs?

yes the sohc has a high pitched sound then the OHV. they sound different lets just put it that way :D

Back