I would like some Towing upgrade recomendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I would like some Towing upgrade recomendations

Hello i finally got my 98 Xlt V6 Sohc about a week ago. This is gonna be mainly my daily driver, but if i can i want to be able to tow my 91 jeep Cherokee maybe once a month to go wheeling. Now I actually have to go get it weighed but its probably in the 3500-4000 pound range(and i know i have to figure on a trailer to) i am gonna go with a draw-tite max frame hitch I'm thinking the square tube it give a little more weight capacity with a w.d. kit. I'm also gonna do electric brakes and i want to upgrade the vehicles brakes what else do you guys recommend.
here some pics so you can see what im gonna be using
SNC00011.jpg

SNC000142.jpg

Some guys live by the 'If you can hook it, you can tow it' mantra. I stray well to the other side of the spectrum.

Begin by opening the owner's manual: What's the max towing capacity for your rig? You'll need to know the engine and gear ratio (check the AXLE code on the door sticker inside the driver's door if you're unsure). Also be sure and read the fine print. For a rig that weighs that much, a weight distributing hitch will be necessary, not just an option, and trailer brakes will be a must.

Odds are that rig will be right at its limit, if not over it. It will not be a pleasant experience on anything but flat level ground, and even then, it won't exactly be a pleasure. I suspect that you'll be well beyond the GCWR for the rig, and would not recommend it. My boat was 4650 lbs, which put the rig within 50 lbs of the GCWR and within 50 lbs of the rear axle GAWR. It was not fun, and I was only going 3 miles to the ramp at speeds no higher than 35 mph. I would not want to try and haul that rig down the freeway.

I hauled some hefty loads with with my 5.0 Ex it had no prob ever, but my ranger is sohc 4.0l , I really need a trans cooler and it should be your #1 priority, get a nice big one and I also recomend adding an inline trans filter like ATP jx-150 made by raybestos. Sold as ATP#jx-150 link below. Other high needs are brakes, I recomend good quality oe style metallic pads no autozone crap and be sure you rotors are in real good shape not rusted or glazed. If you drive it easy it should never have any trouble, but if you force it you will cook the trans fast....the torque converter makes alot of heat fast ,it will boil the fluid out of the vent tube...I've done it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INLI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You should be able to tow that Jeep.

I tow a CJ on a tandom trailer with no problems whatsoever. However, a few additions sure help.

First I would add an additional transmission cooler. Get a stacked plate design. I would also use synthetic ATF.

As for truck brakes, I recommend Power Slot rotors ( http://www.powerslot.com/ ) and Hawk ceramic pads ( http://www.hawkperformance.com/ ).

I highly recommend a transmission temperature gauge.

A good PCM tune designed for towing will also help.

Good luck ....

Attachments

• jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 331

My experience

I bought my 98 4.0 SOHC last summer and in August hooked up to my pop up camper. I left SC with my wife and two of my children and began a 3000 mile trip out west. The trip included driving in the plains in 100 degree weather in the badlands to cold in Yellowstone and finished coming across the Rockies on I70 to where I am working in western Colorado. My X did great on the trip until somewhere in Wyoming it would not shift into overdrive. I still got in no problem and about a month later it gave up the ghost. $2500 later and a rebuilt transmission I am back on the road.
Wish I had asked what you have. It pulled it fine; though it was a hand full until I got some of the weight shifted around and got some of the weight off the back of the truck. Running the leveling hitch should improve that. While not overpowered, it had plenty. I was passing the semis coming over the rockies. That SOHC likes to wind, so I let it. I kept it pulled down in the gears coming down the mountains and had no problems with the brakes. Before I hook to the camper again I will definitely have everything that Aldive listed to help the trans on my X. I think the temp gauge is a must though.

Good luck

Back