IAmTodd's '94 POS, wait thats my Saab thats the POS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAmTodd's '94 POS, wait thats my Saab thats the POS

I can't seem to stay away from the Explorer world for more than a year. I just checked out a '94 XLT earlier this evening. She's in a rather rough state at the moment but I have plans for a nice winter truck for her.

Specs:
1994 XLT
Condition of the motor: unknown
Trans: not really there
Transfercase: taking up space in the boot.

It has minimal rust for an 18 year old truck with 160k on the clock. Trans died and the owner decided to try to rebuild it himself. No such luck. It's currently sitting in a guys shop with the motor and two axles. All the parts are there except the trans which is junk. Body work is nice and straight. The passenger rocker has disappeared and a small amount of rust at the top of the rear arches. Interior is dirty, leather is rough but good new is it has a wind up sunroof!

I've just given my word on it. Title and transport should be negotiated on come Wednesday. For $350 I think it's good for parts at least!

First thing will be to get it rolling with a manual swap then continue to fix from there. Brake work will be needed with more maintenance I'm sure but I'm in no rush.

Glad to be back guys!

7019358923_da55f4d361_z.jpg

It's the 400xt feet with 50" bars(minimum 54" might be a better fit) and the 136 Fit Kit. I think I calculated to it to be around $400 new for everything but I scored the feet and bars for $40 off craigslist and got the fit kit for $25 off Ebay.

Got the old girl suited up for winter. Just had it in for alignment and it went on its first big trip. I did round trip to Philly for ~500 miles. It was kind of sentimental as this is where the Explorer started life.

After doing a bit of sliding around in the snow the other day I decided it was time to invest in some snow tires and tuck the muds away for winter. I picked up a set of Cooper Discover M+S in 265/75R15 for a reasonable $500. Definitely some good piece of mind when things turn white.

I have two more trips back to philly in the next month so I'm looking forward to the smooth, quiet ride of normal tires even though it makes the truck look a little wimpy.

10863275955_779a004bba_c.jpg

Another chapter has closed and another truck has been transferred out of my name. This truck was a major learning experience and I'm glad that I had you all to guide me and listen to my countless rants. In the end it was good. I lost some money but I guess you don't buy a 20 year old SUV thinking that its value will go up.

Until next time, which I'm sure there will probably be a next time!

Back