Idea for a big project on 94 XLT

Kennycal

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hello All.

This is my first post and look forward to any helpful information I may receive.

I joined this site to try and gain information about a crazy idea I have about converting my 94 Explorer XLT with automatic 4x4 system. There is a custom prop shaft disengagement system for when the rig is being towed, as well as a trailer braking system for towing others. Currently this is my daily driver, however I bought this truck to be first and foremost a hunting rig. In California, treestand hunting just is not feasible which I know will be a foreign idea to hunters from other regions. Truth be told, the rolling oak hills paired with lack of public hunting access leads to hard hunting and stalking. We mostly off road the 4x4 trails in our national forests. Long story short, spotting deer from a covered vehicle is extremely difficult.

My idea is to make a removable hard top from the existing structure. Before you scoff at the idea, I have googled 'convertible ford explorer' and have found pictures of this project being completed. However it gives no information on the functionality of the vehicle afterwards.

The truck will not be a daily driver obviously and strictly for hunting. I have questions about structural integrity issues as I know removing the roof from some vehicles can cause extreme instability (hence the reason convertible sedans add weight to increase structural rigidity). I basically want to saw through the B and C pillars and figure out some sort of system where I can unbolt and remove the top.

Any and all help/CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcomed. This isn't something I am starting tomorrow, but plan to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been explorers with the whole roof removed, but it's generally a big hassle to own one unless it's just a show vehicle and stays indoors.

A better and more functional mod has been to keep the roof over the passenger compartment and just chop the roof off the rear, effectively a "sport trac" mod.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194616

explorer3w.jpg

Anime thanks for the information ! that is a really useful idea as I dont need the front cab of the vehicle to be open, just the back. I don't know if you are familiar with hunting, but what we do is have one person drive and have one or two people in the back standing and scouting for deer. Obviously a pickup truck is ideal, but I want to use what I have. Thanks for the information.

Sweet back top chop... any ideas how much that would cost to do?

Back