• Register Today It's free!

Identifying Timing Chain Rattle

Denmac

Reaction score
City, State
NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT
Hello from Australia. I have a 98 SOHC with 97,000 klms and the very first signs of timing chain rattle. I have read elsewhere that each of the 3 timing chains can be identified by their unique noise, indicating which tensioner is faulty. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? My noise can be heard at idle at cold start, is slightly louder when put in gear, and is less audible once the engine is warm. Can anyone shed some light on this as I need to know whether to invest in a total replacement of all chains and tensioners, or just the particular tensioner at fault at this early stage. Thanks, Dennis

Hi Denmac
A rattle on start up is usually down to the Guide for the left cam chain. (Passenger side at the front)
The front oil tensioner (under the intake at the front) exerts pressure on the guide to take up the slack on the chain. This tensioner can get tired as well as oil draining overnight and taking time to pressurise resulting in slack. First point of call would be drain your oil thro a sieve and then drop your pan and look for bits of plastic (light brown). Also check inside the screen of the oil pick up tube. If no bits of plastic are found you might get away with replacing the oil tensioner bolt and dropping into the oil gallery a restrictor pencil (search 00m12 kit). If you find bits of plastic then one or more of your guides are FUBAR and budget on replacing all of them as there is no point in doing 1 to button everything up and find a week later another one goes.
Have a read of the informative threads by 2000StreetRod on the chains.
Good luck

Thanks Janolsson, appreciate your advice.
Denmac

timely (scuse the pun) post...I will need to have this looked at before we open her up and tear her heart out

Back