Timing chain rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain rattle

ronsmith

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
\is it true that the engine has to come out to change or adjust the timing chain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ronsmith said:
\is it true that the engine has to come out to change or adjust the timing chain.

On the 5.0 the engine should come out to do it right...

You can do the timing chain on the 5.0 with the engine in though, you'll have to cut the oil pan gasket cleanly and use RTV to seal it.

The Haynes manual has a writeup on doing it that way.

which engine do you even have? the 4.0L OHV OR OHC or the 5.0L? I know on the 4.0L OHV you can leave the engine in...

No, I am having this nightmare at the moment. The timing chain rattle is because the Hydralic chain tensioner that is fitted in the head is malfunctunung. There is an updated version of the tensioner available from Ford's.
You have to take the inlet manifold off to get at it, if the old one is fitted then it will just look like a large bolt on the left hand bank just by the thermostat housing. The replacement comes as a kit and is around £24 and looks a bit like a diesel injector.
get it done now or else you may end up with the problems I am having now which is that the oil gallery feeding this tensioner may get blocked and the new one wont work as there wont be an oil feed to it.

Once the inlet manifold has been taken off it is an easy straight forward job. It just seems to be this front chain that gets this problem. However if the rattle is coming from the back chain on the right hand bank then you may have to take the unit out.

Hope this helps

See threads
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120242 and
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127621

Back