• Register Today It's free!

Idling when stopped issue

james_c17

Reaction score
City, State
camden, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT AWD
I have noticed when it got hot down here in SC (it did it rarely in winter but got more frequent)that my explorer with the 5.0, when in gear and at a stop light sometimes idles in the 470-500 range (im no mechanic but that seems low) and it seems to stutter when it does that. It also stutters when i accelerate. Please help this gets really annoying having to keep one foot on the gas so it doesnt die!!

Thanks,
james_c17

It did have the Crankshaft position sensor replaced recently, the part that connects to the crankshaft position sensore inside the engine broke and had to be replaced too. dont know if that helps but i remembered it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new issue! that kinda plays in with this one, i cranked it up today and its been burning up all day and my explorer sits in the sun i crank it and it feels like it wants to die.

i really need to figure out what this is before school starts back! please help!!

so im guessin noone has an answer?

Nope. Sorry. Could be anything. I don't know that motor.

Have you started with a tuneup? No engine codes? My 4.0 OHV did (Does) from time to time and invariably a code pops up telling me I have a missfire(Im changing my injectors today to see if thats the issue). For me, the issue is on the same cylinder every time, and about once a month I have to change the plug.

Now, How frequent is your issue? Only when its warm outside? Only when the engine is warm? Maybe just discussing will give you, or someone here an idea.

I agree with DONO. Start with fresh plugs and new wires. maybe throw in a ne air filter. might be a simple fix

well ill do the new plugs and wires when i get payed, ill just clean my air filter and re oil it since i have a K&N

can you check fuel preasure? Im also thinking fuel pump is going south on you.

i talk to some of my dads friends who happenes to be a mechanic and he said the fuel pump too. so my dad and i will probably put in new plugs and wires and a fuel pump.

Awesome. Let us know the outcome.

Well we got the plugs and wires today. Put them on and i drove it to run my girlfriend back to her house earlier, no rough idle, and no hesitation!!!! the plugs we pulled out were pretty fouled and looked like they hadnt been changed in god only knows how long. haha
thank you guys for your help!!!!! This forum is amazing and so helpful! (and addicting at times)

Ah, an easy fix!!! Life's Good!

Back