If i herculine on the paint... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If i herculine on the paint...

sould i sand it down first so it sticks good? I'm going to get some of those plastic pushins to put in the holes from my running boards and then paint over them with herculiner so it doesn't look to bad. To make it look good i'll probably use some masking tape to keep it neat, but do you think i'll be able to get the masking tape back off, if the liner stickes to it some? How long do you think this stuff will last before it starts to chip off? And one more, doesn't this stuff fade pretty fast, what do you do about that? Thanks!!

Happy trailes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wanting to do the same to mine. I've been wondering the same thing about the masking tape. How to pull it off? If you do yours before I do mine (which won't be anytime soon), let me know what you did and how it turned out. I'd really like to know.

As for the paint, I say sand it. You won't ever see it again anyways so you might as well scuff it up to help the Herculiner stick better.

knowing that Herculiner sticks to just about anything, I would say there are two basic rules of thumb that you can follow to help adhesion.

1. Scuff up the painted surface. Steel wool may be easier and quicker in this case than sandpaper. It is not like you are trying to feather an edge here.

2. Wipe down the surface with a good solvent like Prep-Sol to remove any wax in the paint.

I am going to do mine this spring, which here in Texas is in about 3 weeks, and only lasts for 4 days. Instead of using masking tape, I am going to try and use electrician's tape to get a clean edge. Having thought this through extensively (because I type slow), I would remove the tape when the herculiner is dry to the touch, but still not fully cured. Pulling the tape off backwards, overitself, and towards the herculiner should give a good clean edge.

Good Luck

Hehe...be careful with it!!! I don't want another "incident" happening again. Sorry, can't resist. Haha. ;)

Herculiner needs a scuffed surface. Follow the directions and use what comes with the kit. Use the scotchbrite pads to scuff it up and ONLY use Xylol to clean prep the surface, not another solvent.

Masking tape works fine to border it. After you apply the two coats and let dry, slowly peel the masking tape back, using a boxcutter-type razor knife to help slit the Herc off at the tape border when needed so that you don't accidentally pull some off of the vehicle. Two coats of Herc will be thick enough that the pushpins will barely be noticeable under it.

If you prep the surface correctly with enough scotchbrite scuffing, it will not "flake off" and will last until you physically rip it off with trail damage. It doesn't actually fade - it stays black - but it will go from a semi-glossy look new to a flat black / no gloss over time from exposure to the sun. If you prefer the semigloss look to flat balck, a UV treatment / coating is available (works like a sunscreen) but I don't know anything about it.

Originally posted by GJarrett
Follow the directions and use what comes with the kit.

...you gotta be kidding me? You think printed instructions from the manufacturer are better than advice from some stranger on the internet???:D

p.s. Don't drink excessive amounts of liquids just prior to application.

Cool, hey thanks for all the help fellas! I'll be sure and watch out for an oncoming incedient!!!! haha, sorry! But thanks again. John--i'm probably going to do this before our run on the 19th, heck i might do it tomorrow. I'll reply to this thread again when it's all said and done. Thanks again!!

Happy trailes!!

Well i finally did it! I think it turned out alright too. Not to shabby. I do know that that stuff takes for ever to dry! And it's messy too. Here are some pictures i took so that you guys and gals could see them, hope you like them, let me know what you think!

Material used to fill holes, cost like $2.50 at my local auto parts store.
28563568EFIKOgjvcU_ph.jpg

This is the stuff actually filling or actually covering the holes.
28563605SIqqtubAGw_ph.jpg

Here is a shot during my drying time after the first coat.
28563533AxYGfALzvZ_ph.jpg

And after it is all said and done, here my 2 final shots, hope you like them!
28563643OiUqAdTBcd_ph.jpg

28563670ptxBexBrKT_ph.jpg

I realize that it is kinda hard to see the afters very well because the frame is black too, but i think you get the jist!

Happy trailes!!

wow...lokks good...other than that closeup with the door open, i cant really notice that it is there....pretty stealtyh instal... now you just gotta do the lower portions of the doors :)

Well, i had thought about that but i decided against it. It will take me a little while to get use to what i have done now. If i really like the way it looks then some day i will do those, but i think that will be to much for my setup. If i had some 35's on there with a bunch of other stuff then heck yeah, go for it. But now, i like it, thanks!

Happy trailes!!

hey guys reall quick, i used bedliner paint on the sides of me exp. the the black molding down is painted with it all i did was wet sand the paint to take off the shin. it loooks great. i got to go if u want to see it email me and i can send u a pic

Back