If I lift my explorer by shackles and TT do i need new shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If I lift my explorer by shackles and TT do i need new shocks?

tuggey

Reaction score
City, State
inverness, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
I want to lift my 95 explorer sport by getting the warrior shackles in the rear and doind the torsion twist in the front and then getting the 3" body lift.. but i was wondering do i need to get new shocks that can handle a
1.5-2" lift? which is what ill get from the torsion and shackles... or do stock shocks already work for this?? im already getting new shocks cause the ones on it now are the original ones... so do i need to get special ones or can i just get autozone knockoff for stock specs...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular ones won't work right. You can find special shocks with the two extra inches in length.

lol which one??? more input on this please... thanks

You can run stock shock length with a TT/Shackles without problems. It's been done many times.

ok.... does anyone have a recommended brand that wont cost me a arm nd a leg?
like skyjacker or rough country cost to much for me... im looking for a lower cheaper brand that are still good... and that i dont have to order offline... like from autozone or napa or discount auto parts... etc....

OK, for 2", it will work if you plan to drive it ONLY on highway, with no serious vertical wheel travel.
Also, if you want to keep the car wheels alignment, you might need to do more, for exemple see one lift kit manufacturer notes:
http://www.jackit.com/bodylifts/bl_ford.htm

Stock ones work fine for normal driving and wheeling, I've been doing this and there are a lot of other folks on this forum with this setup that are running stock length shocks and wheeling them.

OK, for 2", it will work if you plan to drive it ONLY on highway, with no serious vertical wheel travel.
Also, if you want to keep the car wheels alignment, you might need to do more, for exemple see one lift kit manufacturer notes:
http://www.jackit.com/bodylifts/bl_ford.htm

A 2" TT is an adjustment. Not so much a lift. You're adjusting where the truck sits at ride height in it's suspension cycle. You're not getting anymore total travel at all. You're losing down travel and gaining up travel.

What does that body lift link have to do with it? I couldn't see any footnotes pertaining to this issue.

Ran Edelbock shocks with tt and shackles, was "ok". Installed affordable extended Pro Comp shocks. Noticeable improvement.

I heavily wheeled my '01 XLS with a 2" TT/Shackles and stock length shocks for several years. Never blew out a shock and took it places that most people wouldn't dream of...

4156RockClimbing.jpg

4156TheRockGarden02.jpg

4156Downhill.jpg

4156AlittleFlex.jpg

Back