If Not Air in Line Can It Be The Rack????... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If Not Air in Line Can It Be The Rack????...

kmank

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Well, I think I did the best I could at following all of your suggestions on bleeding the air out of my power steering system, and there were quite a few. I appreciate. It took awhile and although I think it got (alot ???) better then how it was when I started it's still not right. There still seems to be these points when I'm turning the wheel that it gets hard to turn and then I'll pass that point and it gets easier again. The steering wheel doesn't want to return back to straight after the turn as to where I have to struggle to turn the steering wheel to straighten the wheels out. If I don't the wheels will stay turned.
Using the vacuum pump ( I think that works pretty darned good ) beside it pulling out that air it has also showed me that (from I can tell ) I haven't any leaks by it holding 17-20 units of vacuum for over 5 mins.
My question is this: Should I continue trying the bleed process? Could there still be pockets of air trapped in the rack or pump? And finally could it actually be that I have to replace the rack and pinion (ugh)? I hope I can get some more suggestions from you all. Thanx, again. gk

Back