If your having trans issues...

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
Just wanted to put this out there as it may be helpful to some with our year explorers. I’ve had an ongoing issue with mine since July to where the transmission would occasionally slip or wouldn’t shift properly, but would happen sporadically.

Having it up for sale I’ve been questioned about the trans as I did have it rebuild just last year. I ended up taking it to a different transmission shop obviously since the one that did the rebuild went under. Long story short he discovered my issue was not with the trans, but with the shifter itself. It wasn’t properly engaging in drive. He did some kind of an adjustment in there and like magic it’s been shifting properly again no slipping and the shifter feels a lot firmer. I don’t know where the adjustments are probably some place in the lever housing.

Moral of the story...before you dump your explorer or get caught up in expensive transmission work again have that shifter adjustment checked out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad that worked out for you. Sometimes simple things can make a big difference.

Thanks. Yes, I guess sometimes we tend to jump to conclusions and overlook the simple things

IMO, the hardest thing to do when having car repairs done is finding a mechanic that knows how to properly diagnose a problem. Too many mechanics just start throwing parts at the problem hoping one will fix it.

Love to hear stories like this. Glad your problem was a simple fix.

Back