• Register Today It's free!

ignition problem>>please help!!

amigo

Reaction score
City, State
augusta, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
if got a 91 explorer 4x4 which don't seem to want to start. When I turn the key I get nothing and I mean not a thing. I still have power to the lights and radio and everything, but won't start. I have replaced the ignition cylinder in the steering console also the starter relay and both battery terminals and the battery is fairly new. Anyone have a clue? My Haynes manual refers to a ignition switch which is suppose to be on the steering column. Well i had the whole thing apart and cannot find a switch. Any help would be greatly apreciated. getting tired of starting it with a screwdriver jumping the starter relay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have a bad neutral start switch. If you have a manual tranny, there is a switch on the clutch pedal that won't allow the vehicle to start without it depressed all the way. It's located on the top of the pedal arm. With the clutch depressed, you should have continuity across the two wires. If not, the switch is bad. If it is an automatic, check the neutral start switch on the side of the tranny(page 7B-5 in the Haynes manual). If this goes bad, you will have the same problem you described. Good Luck!!

JDraper,
Where exactly on the tranny should this switch be located? My Hyanes manual doesn't give a pic of it only a drawing. Also i had a mechanic look at it and his first guess was the ignition switch in the steering column was going or gone. Then the guy at Autozone his first guess on the thing was the neutral start switch. If the netural start switch was bad wouldn't it start in any gear? Thanks for the input.

If the neutral start switch goes belly up, it may not start at all. The switch is on the transmission housing, but I'm not sure exactly where. The ignition switch on the column (if my memory is correct, it's been a while since I tore down a Ford steering column) is near the bottom of the column (by bottom, I mean closer to the firewall than the steering wheel). I believe there is a rod that goes down from the key to the swtich. Find the rod and follow it down to the switch.

The ignition switch is located on the top of the steering column and the only way to get to it is by basically drop the column to the floor. You might also have a short in a wire in the ignition. From the key to the starter solenoid

Back