I'm a little lost need help what to do on a wiring harness!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm a little lost need help what to do on a wiring harness!!!!!

Tommyboy79

Reaction score
City, State
W,va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer
This is my first post on here.

I'm a little lost on what to do next.

I have 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4

It was a Automatic transmission. I couldn’t find a good transmission to back as a automatic. So I brought a 2003 Ford ranger with the same run stuff. Just a 5 Speed transmission. I did the swap and everything work good. Just for the PCM reading as the Automatic I know I need to do the wiring harness change to. But I want to see if the 5 speed transmission was worth change over first. Yes, it was it run better as a 5 speed then the Automatic did.

So here I go ready to change the motor wiring harness over on the motor and the transmission. I know it will be different because my old harness was for a automatic transmission. But I notice the Ranger wiring harness is different on the fuse box side and in the cab harness also. Now am little worry what to do now. I don’t know to change the hole wiring harness in my explorer or what! Now am asking for some help to what to do now.

Any help would be nice….

Here is my problem am having and the point am stuck at now.

Yes, I have the PCM for the wiring harness and for the 5 speed transmission.

The wiring harness number out of the Ranger is 12B637 harness and the plug
to the PCM is C175 Gray plug.
The plug C110 plug I have the runs to the other plug that is C115 plug to the fuse box.

Now the Explorer Wiring harness am not sure the number on it. Because I can’t find the ID tag on it.
But the plug is C115 on it from the motor to the fuse box and that’s where I did find the wiring was different then my new wiring harness from the Ranger.

That’s my big problem am having on what to do next? So any help from you all would be nice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try to just swap the pcm and pats modules

Hmmmmmmmm this is a good one. The 2003 Ranger uses a slightly different pats system then the 01 explorer so you cannot just swap in the 03 ranger PCM and pats and call it good. I wish, that would be too easy

You may consider having your 01 explorer pcm actually tuned to forget about the auto trans functions, this may be the easiest way forward.
You cannot swap the ranger wiring harness into the explorer, it does not really work that way...not without doing some major mapping and wiring changes.

Hmmmmmmmm this is a good one. The 2003 Ranger uses a slightly different pats system then the 01 explorer so you cannot just swap in the 03 ranger PCM and pats and call it good. I wish, that would be too easy

You may consider having your 01 explorer pcm actually tuned to forget about the auto trans functions, this may be the easiest way forward.
You cannot swap the ranger wiring harness into the explorer, it does not really work that way...not without doing some major mapping and wiring changes.
Do you think it could be as easy as reflashing the PCM. I've been wanting to do this to my X when the time comes to replace the trans.

Do you think it could be as easy as reflashing the PCM. I've been wanting to do this to my X when the time comes to replace the trans.

I know it wasn’t that easy to do that’s why I waited last to do it. I have the whole truck. So I have the pats for the ranger harness. I just can’t find the wiring diagram for the ranger PCM in a stander transmission. The only thing I can find is a automatic one.

I posted the 2003 ranger wiring book in your other thread, $30 on ebay. Having the book is the only way to go IMO

yes it is just that simple, try contacting Lasota Racing, he can flash these PCM's and anyone who can tune or flash these PCM can remove the auto trans functions
There are a few wires to move around obviously, the starter circuit, the neutral safety circuit and reverse wire circuits are all slightly different with a 5 speed manual.

Wonder if an Allison 4700 would mate up to my SOHC engine...:laugh:

Back